Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, there are four reasons I don’t participate in shooting matches.

1. Most of them start too early in the morning for me.
2. Where I live it gets too hot and muggy to enjoy outdoor activities much.
3. There are so many rules it takes some of the fun out of it.
4. They usually end up being 4 hours of standing around and 60 seconds of shooting.

1. I can deal with that if I have to, just prefer afternoons,
2. That’s not true all year around, but it’s August right now, and wow it’s uncomfortable by 10am.
3. I know most matches are friendly get-togethers and safety rules are paramount, but it’s the tedious gaming rules that I couldn’t care less about, I would just like to shoot well and have fun with like-minded folks.
4. When I did IDPA this was how it went. The matches got so big (over 130 shooters) they had to move it to a range in another town.

What excuses do you have?

·
Registered
619 Posts
My take is shooting matches are more of a social event for 80% participating. And the other 20% are out for blood when it comes to winning. Been there, done that.
I really enjoy my alone time when shooting at the range and sitting at my work bench working/cleaning my guns. Seems to lower my blood pressure. Probably why I enjoy deer hunting. Sitting in my blind just watching and waiting for that one. Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy a crowd and socializing every now and then. But joining a forum seems to be a lot easier these days. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
When hubby and I both shoot every week, the groups were fairly small and although we followed each and every safety and match rule, a good time was had by all. Then health issues intervened for me and, like JohnR, the weather and the morning start time prevent me from going very often.

Over the years the group has grown which is a good thing. The vast majority of original members are no longer with us and I feel it is important for me to go when I can, just to get to know (by face if no other way) the new guys. It has been "fun" to see how a new safety officer follows me so closely and offers helpful advice, since he doesn't know me or how well I shoot. All is done very politely.

I don't think I could ever have the patience to wait my turn in a group of 40 or more - let alone over 100! Let's say, my bladder would not have the patience. :)

For me, the value of competitions is the inner pressure to perform as fast as I possibly can without losing accuracy. That is the big balancing act! Yep, I could use a timer when just hubby and I are shooting, but rarely have we done that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For me, there are four reasons I don’t participate in shooting matches.

1. Most of them start too early in the morning for me.
2. Where I live it gets too hot and muggy to enjoy outdoor activities much.
3. There are so many rules it takes some of the fun out of it.
4. They usually end up being 4 hours of standing around and 60 seconds of shooting.

1. I can deal with that if I have to, just prefer afternoons,
2. That’s not true all year around, but it’s August right now, and wow it’s uncomfortable by 10am.
3. I know most matches are friendly get-togethers and safety rules are paramount, but it’s the tedious gaming rules that I couldn’t care less about, I would just like to shoot well and have fun with like-minded folks.
4. When I did IDPA this was how it went. The matches got so big (over 130 shooters) they had to move it to a range in another town.

What excuses do you have?
My take:

1. The clubs I shoot at also have afternoon matches so you don't have to be up so early.

2. Summer mornings are usually a lot more comfortable than afternoons. Getting up early has its benefits.

3 . All competitions are "games" and have rules. There is no escaping that in almost any competitive endeavor, not just shooting.

4. I shoot Steel Challenge and the squads at the clubs I compete at typically small, like 10 maximum and there are 5 to 7 stages. Unless you are really lazy, there is plenty to do. We RO for each other so someone has to RO and run the shot timer, someone else records the times, someone paints the targets between shooters, the shooter who just finished is reloading his magazines or speedloaders and the on-deck shooter is watching and preparing to shoot. No one should be bored.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have run retail businesses most of my adult life and have never had a job where I did not work at least one half a day on saturday and smone sundays. When I had time on weekends I spent it with my wife and children and now with my grandchildren One club I was a member of had matches Wednesday night I sometimes particpated in those.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
The only formal matches I shoot are CAS. The club I belong to is about as laid back as you can get. For most of us it's a social event. Even the competitive guys/gals are easy going. We are adamant about safety but we don't let it get in the way of having fun.

I've participated in other shooting events and in addition to all the stuff the OP listed (which I agree with) I can't stand all the attitude BS. The best analogy I can give is it's like trying to play golf on a Saturday morning. All the single digit handicappers get their panties in a wad when things slow down a bit. They act as if it's their own personal course and the bogie golfer shouldn't be there. Same with some shooting sports. In some cases it's definitely not an environment that encourages new/beginning shooters to come back.

I feel the same way about almost any public shooting range. The rules are obnoxious, the snobby attitude of some 'experts' is offensive and the danger of being around unsupervised idiots is unnerving. When I say idiots I'm not talking about new shooters. I'm talking about the wannabe Rambo knuckleheads and the sideways shooting hood rats.

I thank God every day I have my own place to shoot. If the only place I could shoot was a public range or formal matches I might have to find a new hobby.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
With the two boys (3 and 10 months now) my days of competing are on pause. Never feels like enough time to spend with them already. On the plus side, the 3 year old has shown serious interest in reloading and just this morning he wanted me to open the safe (which I do and we work on safety for what he wants to touch) and he was asking if we could go shooting. This isn’t the first time and he helps me reload. Since he was two he has been helping me resize cases and he loves to do it. Wish I could post the video of his first alone resize and the joy in his voice when he says “I DID IT!” Anyway, getting off topic. Matches around here are very laid back with even the here to win it guys are there to help anyone and everyone.

OP, if you want something laid back, check out some of the shotgun ranges. Trap and skeet is a come and go as you please and just jump in an open spot on a line. Or around here there is a recreational sporting clays circuit during Saturday’s and 5 stand on weekdays. Just stop by and jump in a line when you show up. Laid back, social, everyone has a great time. When I had time to shoot those, I would show up early, usually be in group 1, and have three rounds in by lunch when it started getting hot. All the fun of competition without the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat as bwinters. Working in family retail means I get every other Sunday off if I'm lucky and work the rest of the days.

The rod&gun club I belong to has some fairly informal shooting matches from time to time but they're rarely held on my day off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts