21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
784 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
My solution for aging or poor eye sight.........you go full-auto, you’re bound to hit something.
A 3-shot burst triples the odds of a hit :thumbsup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
General OPTICS shooting blog: ....

Have always used mostly Leupold for range fun, practice, precision clean harvest of animals, light gathering, precision testing loads and NOW especially for changing vision. Used Burris for anything above 60-70lbs recoil.

My great grandfather used peep & ghost in 1940's harvesting many desert Muleys in Davis Mountains because that was some of the best readily available for him. I have a few of those too. But I used a scope when got my rare opp there in 90s.

Really enjoy the mepro tritium dots on 45 auto use for critical defense & range fun, plus red dot & scopes on select handguns. Got fiberoptics for my wife, boy is she a natural. Am finding I enjoy ALL even more as I get older. We are fortunate these days on what we have access to, for sure.

For even more fun, switch to scopes before eye strain even starts, always made sense to me when safe handling of potentially dangerous firearms. Iron sights fun, but not my first choice for most needs. Have always tried to take care of my vision FIRST, while improving all aspects of my shooting. ENJOY

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,786 Posts
Always been nearsighted in my right eye. My left has gotten badly far-sighted as I aged. With iron sights on a rifle, my dominant eye picks up the rear sight fine, while the left eye makes out the front. I am still of the opinion that, as with a handgun, seeing that front sight is most important for how I shoot rifles. The target is always a little out of focus. I am not a bullseye or benchrest shooter. The only time I shoot a gun from rest is when hunting with a rifle.

I wear glasses to shoot, and have no problem with scopes. I use them for hunting, both varmints and deer, unless it is a short-range shot with my shotgun.

BTW, I don’t understand the grumpiness on display here. Enjoy the hobby with the modifications you need to shoot well. At nearly 60, I am finally learning to drive a 5 speed, too :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m in my early ‘70s. I took the time to switch to red dot sights on my carry pistol as my sight degraded.

Of course opinions vary, but with enough practice they work very well for me. And in a pinch I also have suppressor height sights as a back up.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I periodically post rants about eyesight and sights/optics. A pet peeve of mine is people who justify buying scope because their “old eyes” can’t cut it any more with iron sights. I don’t believe that, and I wish people would stop trying to justify using a scope because of supposed declining vision.

My friend Ruben is probably the best shooter at our range. He’s in his early 80’s and wears glasses for both distance and reading. The other day, he borrowed an Egyptian rifle (FN-49?) from another shooter, a military surplus 308 rifle with aperture sights, and shot a 3 shot cloverleaf group from a bench at 100 yards.

This was not a cherry-picked group. Those were the only shots he took with the rifle. He handed it right back to the owner.

Scopes are wonderful. I have them and use them. Iron sights, though, still work just fine, and just as well as they did when our forefathers had to use them to put meat on the table. Don’t ever underestimate how well you can shoot with them. If you can legally drive to the range you can see plenty well enough to shoot.
I have a cousin who is 83 and is blessed with great eyesight. He could probably shoot just as well as your friend.

I just bought a new Marlin 1894 rifle...it came equipped with a buckhorn rear sight and a hooded front sight with a brass bead. I've always loved buckhorn sights. The first time out I had problems picking up the front sight...so I removed the hood. That helped a little but that front bead was hard for me to pick up regardless of the lighting...so I dobbed a drop of white paint on it...that again helped, but the combination wasn't working for me. I have a peep sight on my Marlin 336 that I can pick up rather quickly. So, I ordered a peep sight from Skinner with the optional .040" aperture. When I installed it I had to change out the front sight. I installed one I had in my spare parts that had a white bead. I can now pick it up rather quickly but it's still not as clear as I would like it. I will probably order a a HiViz front sight for it.

I have 3 rifles that are scoped... I can look thru them and see my target and my aiming point crystal clear...though I'm not a big fan of scopes I can see the writing on the wall...I will eventually have to scope all rifles I use for hunting and shooting.

My vision at one time was 20-15 but has steadily deteriorated since my mid 40's. "Old Eyes" do exist for many of us. Your eyes may catch up some day and I'm sure you'll be changing your tune when that happens.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I used to have 20/10 vision. That was then and this is now. At age 67, I have a difficult time focusing on the front sight post of most rifles. Achieving precise slight alignment of a front post in a rear sight notch, or front post in a rear sight peep is problematical. Small errors in sight alignment make a huge difference when shooting at distance.

I also need some magnification to clearly see a small target like a 1" bull's eye at 100 yards. Depending on the color of the target and the lighting, I commonly have difficulty judging exactly where the top of the front sight post ends. This tends to result in vertical stringing of hits. A six-o'clock hold is fine when shooting at a bull's eye of consistent size, or bull's eyes that are scaled to look the same size at different distances. It doesn't work that well when shooting at targets or bulls of varying size at different ranges.

This is not a "touchy" subject. The responses in this thread are not coming from individuals who are trying to justify the purchase of a rifle scope that they "just wanted". They are responses that are based on the reality of aging and the effects of aging on human visual acuity, in response to someone who is perhaps fortunate enough to still have excellent vision and chooses to ignore that reality.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I used to have 20/10 vision. That was then and this is now. At age 67, I have a difficult time focusing on the front sight post of most rifles. Achieving precise slight alignment of a front post in a rear sight notch, or front post in a rear sight peep is problematical. Small errors in sight alignment make a huge difference when shooting at distance.

I also need some magnification to clearly see a small target like a 1" bull's eye at 100 yards. Depending on the color of the target and the lighting, I commonly have difficulty judging exactly where the top of the front sight post ends. This tends to result in vertical stringing of hits. A six-o'clock hold is fine when shooting at a bull's eye of consistent size, or bull's eyes that are scaled to look the same size at different distances. It doesn't work that well when shooting at targets or bulls of varying size at different ranges.

This is not a "touchy" subject. The responses in this thread are not coming from individuals who are trying to justify the purchase of a rifle scope that they "just wanted". They are responses are based on the reality of aging and the effects of aging on human visual acuity, in response to someone who is perhaps fortunate enough to still have excellent vision and chooses to ignore that reality.

Spot on sir ...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Like Lowegan, I too had cataract surgery, here within this year as well as having two new lenses installed. My distance has improved immensely, however in order to make changes to my many scoped rifles I have to put on my cheaters in order to see up close and personal in order to make windage and elevation adjustments. I'm 72 and have also had quadruple by-pass surgery in the past 15 years, and quite a while ago when my eyesight was actually superb, I would rely on my scoped deer and elk rifle in order to assure a clean kill.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm 48, and have worn glasses since I was 14, and bifocals since my early 40s.

When I was younger I had no problem shooting with iron sights. Nowadays, I still shoot with them, but not quite as accurately, and it takes me longer to get a good sight picture. I also find that low light affects my shooting more as I get older.

Although I prefer the simplicity and clean lines of iron sights, I definitely find myself using scopes on some of my rifles. Especially when hunting, due to the scopes ability to make the animal, and especially the vegetation in front of it, more clear to me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I’m 76 and my corrected vision is 20/20 yet the only long guns without scopes are my shotguns and my M1. Three of my six Contender barrels are scoped, as well.
It escapes me why anyone would care if someone would choose to use a scope on their guns. If the actions of others causes no harm to me or others, they can do as they please. To me, young eyes, old eyes, or in between, the choice is theirs to make and not something of concern. If a scope helps a person to enjoy shooting or aid in accuracy why not use it?
Agree completely..turned 80 last week, and have needed glasses since 7th grade. Cataract surgery removed much astigmatism, gave me 20/20 vision in both eyes and removed the yellow tint, plus giving me about 2 hours more available daylight. I do pretty good with irons, better with aperture sights, but for really good shooting, I need scopes. But, opinions are like elbows, and almost everyone has two!:thumbsup:

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,964 Posts
I periodically post rants about eyesight and sights/optics.
I see. That’s kind of a weird hobby, to be honest.

A pet peeve of mine is people who justify buying scope because their “old eyes” can’t cut it any more with iron sights.
Mine is women who wear baseball caps. Maybe if you’re some cute, perky farm girl with a John Deere cap you can pull it off. Otherwise this trend of grown women wearing caps is just trailer trashy. Take the time to do your hair and put on some damn makeup, lady!

·
Super Moderator
21,350 Posts
I have been far sighted my entire life. Always tested 20-10 or 20-15 on a bad day but needed reading glasses in my 20's. I have had to wear glasses full time since my late 40's as my focal length got longer. At 72 I just tested 20-10 in the right eye and 20-15 in the left both corrected. Trying to focus on 3 planes at once that you need to with iron rifle sights and progressive lenses is a joke. With handguns I can do fine with iron sights as the sight alignment issues aren't as severe with the shorter sight radius and range of the target but with rifles, muzzleloaders and rifled BBL shotguns they are all scoped. I hunt with long guns and feel I owe the game a clean kill which I can only assure with a scope.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have read all the responses to this thread with interest, but also with disappointment. I put the same thread on another gun forum, and it has the same number of responses as this one. As with here, some of the responders disagreed with me. The difference is that at that more friendly forum, everyone was civil, no one was offended, and it is a very friendly debate, with a number of posters contributing good advice about the subject.

My intent here, aside from allowing me to vent a little (partly tongue in cheek), was to encourage debate.

Some shooters need scopes and red dots. Some simply prefer desire them. All of us here should continue to use and shoot products that we like, and that work for us.

My original thought here still stands, though: it’s sad that so many shooters either give up on open sights, or never even try to discover how good it’s possible to shoot with them.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.