Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed I'm over 1,000 posts!

The blackhawk .45/.45ACP thread earlier got me thinking. I take it accuracy from either is about the same. I learned that the ACP is easier to find and much less expensive to shoot. My other question is, does it 'feel' the same? Or is it like a .38 compared to a .357?

I have a feeling I'd get the convertible just to be able to shoot the cheaper auto ammo. But I want to feel what the .45 feels like. The whole reason I am drawn to the blackhawk is I love the tactile aspect of the single action in my single six - loading, unloading, etc. But it makes me want a bigger version. The .357 isn't a bad choice I guess, and I have that lever gun and GP100 also in .357. But I am looking at something different.

Sorry for the long post with not a lot of question in it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've shot .45 long colt, but not .45 acp so I don't know if there's a differance in kick or not. I do know that my .357 magnums seem to kick a little harder than .45 lc and they are a lot cheaper to shoot.

Sorry for the long post with not a lot of answer in it. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Eddie,

I have had two single cylinder Blackhawks chambered for the .45 Colt that I added .45 ACP cylinders too.
My first one had a 4-5/8" barrel and was stolen in 1977. My current one is a 7.5" barreled gun and is within reach as I keyboard this.

What I have found out is that accuracy is equal with equal ammo. For instance at 25 yards I can shoot 6 .45 Colt factory loads into a group, then switch cylinders and using the same sight picture put 6 .45 ACP factory loads into the same group. I cannot complain about that.
The 45 ACP does not recoil as much as .45 Colt, so the feel is a bit softer and gentler. Nothing like the 38 / 357 difference.

I have a 9mm cylinder for my .357 Blackhawk and the difference between the 9mm ammo and the .357 ammo is ...... well, shooting the 9mm is almost like shooting blanks compared to the .357.

I like my .45 better.

Joe

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff, Joe, thank you. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Now if they only had a satin stainless...

Leaning toward that .45/.45ACP convertible, blued, 5.5" barrel. I could do worse, huh??

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree the 45 acp is much more fun to shoot and I also use the same sight picture. I had one traded it off found out what I lost and traded back. If I had it to do over again I would go with the shorter barrel easier carrying in the woods.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Eddie, the recoil is softer with the .45ACP. At shorter ranges they shoot pretty close to point of aim in my gun but the big .45 Colt rd shines at the longer ranges.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
while the recoil of the acp is much milder it will do the job on a bad guy. There a lot to be said for a large slow to some moving bullet. The 45 pack a whallop, just shoot a tin can with one and whatch it dance in the air.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The great thing about the convertibles is that handloaded +p .45 ACP ammo can be used and equal factory loaded .45 Colt ammo in the cheaper and more available ACP brass.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
very good point, one of the reasons I have one. Also ya don't have to chase your brass, a great point for me as I hate loosing brass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts