Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Winchester Model 94 Ranger 30-30 to the range. As you've probably guessed, I took my Blackhawk .357 Magnum/9mm 6.5" and my P95DPR15 also...

The Winchester was up first using 30-30 150 grain. I have had a Bushnell 3-9X40 on weaver "see through" scope mounts. This was my first time out after I removed the optics from the rifle. I started at 25 yards to get on paper. It shot about 1" low, using a 6:00 hold. One step up on elevation, about 3/4" high. Went to our 85 yard station, 2" high. looked good, shot good.. 5 more shots, about 1.5" group... Called it good.

Blackhawks turn... 25 yard station .357 Magnum 158 grain. 6:00 hold was a little bit high. 2 clicks down in elevation... on the money. Then I went to the 85 yard station. 6:00 hold, about 1-2" high, 3" groups... Called it good...

Swapped out cylinders. At 25 yards WWB 9mm 115 grain, 6:00 hold, right on the money... Called it good.

Ran some drills with the P95DPR... Called it good, it was all good.:D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,339 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. 1.5" group at 85 yds with open sights is right decent for a 30-30. Bambi won't know if you have a scope or not!

What did your BH 9mm groups look like? Just curious. Your 357 Mag loads did quite well.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BH 9mm @ 25 yards with WWB 115 gr was 3-4" groups... and is probably me... I wish I had a "led sled" gun vice to test with... I am sitting at a picnic table, braced on top of of the table with my elbows... If I stand and shoot, I get 4-6" groups. I need to practice kneeling, standing unsupported. The shooting grip is very different on the Blackhawk and the P-series... Practice...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Love that 6 o'clock hold-have you used any of those poly-tipped pointed soft points designed for the tubular mags yet?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet... I heard Hornaday had a lot-number that got out of the factory "under-charged", causing barrel obstruction and are recalling it... Thanks, but I'll wait for a while...

The 30-30 is good out to 150 yards, and that's good enough for me, as a "bush" gun... any longer distances and I'll be using my Ruger M77R Mark II in .270 Win... Scoped...

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's good that it was good!

I assume the range is outdoors....was there any wind?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to do my sighting in under 5mph winds... 5 with 7-8 gusts... I discount any "gusty" shots, platic yellow tape at the target and the stations... Yes it is outdoors, I'll take pictures of the range next trip.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Sounds like you did all right to me! I'm pretty sure I couldn't shoot that kind of group at 85 yards with open sights. Poor Bambi doesn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. I have been wanting to get out to the range but every day I have available it has rained. Oh for the good old days when I could just go out to the countryside and shoot at targets or tin cans! I used the 6 o'clock hold for years but changed to dead on for handgun sighted in at 25yds or less. Seems I get better grouping and control. Still use 6 o'clock for iron sighted rifles at 50yds plus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts