Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - New member here. I've tried some searches but I'm striking out. Getting close to my birthday and was looking for something to ask for. I decided on a #1 in 4570. Does anyone have any info with the difference in accuracy or kick between the 22in and 26in barrel's. I'm not so much concerned about the kick but more so with accuracy, if anything.

The 26in may look a bit unbalanced as well. The 22in looks great in terms of carrying in the field. I see no reason to add the extra 4 inches if it has no affect on accuracy - which appears to be 1.5-3.0 MOA already.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,463 Posts
I can't say about the #1. My only #1 is in .458 Lott. I had a Marlin 1895 Guide with an 18" barrel and the Marlin 1895 Cowboy with the 26" octagon barrel. The recoil was better with the longer barrel from the extra weight. The longer barrel was much more accurate especially at longer distances. I kept the Cowboy model and sold the Guide model.

The standard .45/70 flat or round nose rounds have rainbow like ballistics. The Hornady LeveRevolution rounds are much better for longer shots past 100 yards.

Always zero it at the range with whatever ammo you will hunt with. You will be amazed at the difference in various manufacturers' rounds points of impact. With Federal .45/70 ammo during sight-in, I was in the bull's eye and switching to the Hornady I was high off paper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine opionon is get the barrel length you like i have both and recoil diff is nothing. accuracy doesn't seem to matter you will pick up a bit more velocity with the 26 but not enough for anything to tell at the terminal end.as noted above the trajectory isn't going to change much in hunting conditions with the little extra velocity. and a deer whacked with a 405 gr. isn't going to know what lehgth it came from. so all in all your chioce . my vote is short and handy.
Kevin

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have handled the 26 inch version, but not shot one. I've shot the 22 inch version a lot. I'm looking for a 26 that I am willing to afford.

The 22 inch version with heavy loads can be quite stout to shoot - sometime completely unpleasant. The heavier profile of the 26 inch barrel adds enough weight to notice and should make it more pleasant to shoot with heavy loads.

Don't confuse barrel length with accuracy potential -- the two are not connected except in the most esoteric and tenuous ways. Both rifles will easily shoot as well as the nut behind the trigger. My 22 inch will shoot Remington 405's into less than an inch with several different loads. If you are going to put a scope on it then barrel length makes no difference. If you are going to use open sights then the additional 4 inches of barrel length will give you a longer sighting radius which translates into the potential for more accuracy so long as you are actually able to utilize that potential......

Dave

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also - there are a lot of 22 inch rifles out there and on occasion you can find one at a real bargain price -- the 26 inch version is quite limited in production numbers and I've only seen a couple offered below $900....

Still, if I had a choice, I'd be looking for the 26 inch version.

Remember that a 26 inch barreled No. 1 is the same length as a 22 inch barreled bolt gun.....

Dave

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 26" barrel is a better option for a 45/70 but the 22" barrel is very well balanced. My R#1 45\70 shot to point of aim on it's first shot from a cold barrel, follow up shot's opened up a lot though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 45-70 #1 has the 22" barrel and is a delight to shoot. It is accurate enough for ringing the gong. I shoot TrailBoss loads with 405gr Laser Cast bullets.
FM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the input. I made the deal today on the 26" length based partially on Daves longer sight radius comment as I need all the "potential" help I can get. I should have it in a week or so. I've got an old Pacific press that hasn't seen a die in 35 years (since I was 15). It was a hand-me-down. Cleaned and oiled and it runs like a champ. The reloading aspect was just another reason for me to pick this iconic round. I'll be turning 50 in a couple of days and I guess its a way to go back and re-live those days in the basement with my dad.

Now I'll start poking around for accurate loads for this jewel.

Take care - Patrick

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Just an ol'coots take, but the 22" RUGER #1 is a total delight to handle in the woods. Love it! Just so light, short and nimble everything comes up positive!

With the use of a scope, barrel length and sighting radius is not an issue.

And, when I tried to shoot my 45/70 before mounting the scope, it hurt so bad I wondered if I was man enough to shoot the rifle.

Head position just far too low, and the comb of the stock beat the snot out of my face/cheek.

Issue gone once the scope was mounted and of course I installed a nice soft & thick recoil pad before shooting the first shot.

As per the longer barrel and velocity, well I can assure you that you can put slugs out of the barrel far faster with the 22" barrel then you will want to shoot for more then a few rounds.

Now, as to bullets/boolits, forget the "J" bullets or be very picky about chosing only those with solid proven integrity. The Hornady gummy nose would be a good example of those lacking integrity.

Plain and simple, shoot something of OVER 400grs for the best results as it has been well said by those with much more experience then mine, that the 45/70 just tends to shoot better with bullets of over 400gr. And yes, I know there are lots of lighter bullets shot. Been there and tried that myself and that is why I no longer do so.

Then, Get yourself some good cast boolits of over 400gr with a WFN (wide flat nose) profile put them out the tube at 1500 - 1700fps and provided you do your part, there is nothing anywhere, other then possibly Africa, that will stand up and ask for a second shot.

Read lots as per the use of the WFN cast boolit in the 45/70, and I've found that every claim made for their effectiveness on game is true in spades. Have seen it for my self on 4 deer and two elk. Awesome!

I shoot a 465gr cast WFN at 1600 - 1700fps and there is simply zero need for an expanding "J" bullet. Not once you have seen the results from this non-expanding Boolit

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts