Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sure it will................but I am sure there will be many right along, who will tell you they would never shoot steel cased ammo in such a nice rifle.

But the way I look at it..............if it was not intended to make use of the cheap ammo available, what purpose does the chambering serve. Not like this round has some type huge advantage over many others out there...............except cheap ammo

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Alot of the angst of shooting the steel-cased ammo is related to extraction issues in a bolt or semi-auto rifle. With the #1 action, you're likely to be just fine. I WOULD make sure that the ammo is non-corrosive in nature, and clean thoroughly after each use. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive got 7 rifles in that caliber, but no single shot. That and about 12 thousand rounds steel cased. I also reload for that caliber. Dont know why but Im just fond of that round and its a lot of fon collecting for that round.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Ive got 7 rifles in that caliber, but no single shot. That and about 12 thousand rounds steel cased. I also reload for that caliber. Dont know why but Im just fond of that round and its a lot of fon collecting for that round.
Neat! Keep at it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wow. I didn't even know they made the #1 in 7.62 x 39mm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It should be noted that the Ruger bore is .308, while Imported steel case Ammo uses Bullets of .310 diameter. While it is safe to shoot, accuracy may not be so good. I use Brass Boxer Primed Cases in my Mini 30, and reload with .308 Bullets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
its a have to have one thing. a H&R handy rifle or thompson contender rifle in 30-30 will out preform the 7.62x39 with every bullet and they are lighter,. and i own three semi auto rifles in the the russian round and a ruger 77 rifle in the russian round and reload for them. i own five ruger #1 rifles and the lightest one is a A in 35 whelen. my thompson contender 30-30 rifle weights 5.8 lbs loaded,scoped(2x7 leupold) with sling. my #1 in 3006 RSI weights 6.8 lbs, no scope,sling. pic,s of thompson 30-30, ruger 77 in 7.62x39 and my five #1 rugers. this not to condem#1,s, only to say their are lighter rifles with the same power. i don,t mind the added weight of the # 1,s if i need more power for larger game. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,332 Posts

·
Ed Mann
411 Posts
My M77MkII is a .310 bore....
I think this concern dates to the days when Ruger was said to be using up old .308 barrel blanks from the XGI project in the first Mini-30s. I'd be surprised if the manual for any of the Rugers doesn't recommend only brass-cased ammo.

IIRC, the Mini-30s had very long throats to accommodate .310 bullets in the .308 bore. Not the most accurate setup.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the CZ carbine in this caliber also, but am tempted by the #1.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I don't have a #1 but did have a H&R single shot. I found that shooting steel cased ammo with lacquer coating would gum you the chamber and made extraction difficult. Just have a cleaning kit with you and I would bet it will work fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts