Ruger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
#1 interest

C W Phelps your post made me do something I haven't done I a while. I called my LGS and told my contact to get me a #1. He knows my interest and style so I'll be happy. Your comment about the golden boy boy and 9422 hit home. Lucky for me I got the 1894 22wm with the XTR package and glove loop when they were still under $400 with a decent scope. I've always wanted a #1 but the price for a single shot always scared me off. Truthfully I've very seldom used a second shot because I don't like trailing wounded deer. I'll post photos when he gets my bargain lol while grinning

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, it seems like Henry has done what Ruger did a couple decades ago. Funny how that works. From what I have seen, which of course is only one man's perspective, their single shot seems to be selling extremely well and those who get one seem to like them. That said, I do think its too much to ask for Ruger to take notice and make a big push with the #1 again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love them because they're really the one production rifle that has been made in truly a wide variety of calibers over time. The emphasis was never on selling a lot. Such a nice departure from the more popular mfgrs making only .30-06, .270, 7mm-08, etc.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm also surprised Ruger has kept the #1 in it's product line, even in the limited numbers and configurations now available. Ruger probably sells more 10/22s in a week than #1s in 5 years but they still cater to that small audience.

Also, the complaining about the cost puzzles me as its limited production and small audience have got to make the unit costs rather high. Considering the numbers of $3000+ 1911s and $2000+ Kimber, Cooper, etc. rifles that are bought with no complaints about the cost, the #1 is somewhat of a bargain.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Well guys I am 21 and plan on getting a Ruger No 1 In the near future. It is a must have on my bucket list, and it’s really the last check mark I haven’t x’d. I’d take one in any cartridge, but the bigger bores interest me the most. I nearly bought one in .458 Win Mag a week ago, for $850. If it was in .450-400, well it would be mine.

I could buy that .458 too. It will probably be around a little. If it was a .375 it would sell quick at that price.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Although I have no interest in acquiring a No.1, they appear interesting and look awesome. Thanks to brnwlms and everyone who added to this interesting thread.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've got a No.3 as well as a No.1RSI .243 that I recently purchased, and someone on here said "I'll bet you can't buy just one". Man ain't that the truth, now I'm looking for No.1 in .270 but it is going to have to have beautiful walnut finish. There truly is something about a Ruger No.1 that just begs to be bought. Now only if I were young again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Funny thing is I was looking at a couple Henry single shot and marveled how it’s look but have to wait awhile since I just got my 1V last week and Win 9422 in November.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Trigger Creep, the Number 1 is definitely a bucket list gun but be careful they are addictive and a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well guys I am 21 and plan on getting a Ruger No 1 In the near future. It is a must have on my bucket list, and it’s really the last check mark I haven’t x’d. I’d take one in any cartridge, but the bigger bores interest me the most. I nearly bought one in .458 Win Mag a week ago, for $850. If it was in .450-400, well it would be mine.

I could buy that .458 too. It will probably be around a little. If it was a .375 it would sell quick at that price.
Well, if you want some REAL horsepower, that .458 Win #1 could be rechambered to .458 Lott. There are no action or magazine length limitations to consider.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm with others who are surprised that Ruger still offers the #1. With the current fascination of AR style rifles and plastic pistols and overall declining interest in hunting in our area, it just amazes me that Ruger continues production on this very small niche market, but I'm glad they do. I would think that it takes a special group of Ruger employees that create these works of art.

·
Super Moderator
4,069 Posts
I caught the #1 bug a few years ago and it's one of only two guns I collect. The other is original Vaqueros. The rest of my firearms fill some need or temporary interest but I buy #1's and original Vaqueros specifically to collect. None are safe queens though. They all get shot periodically and I hunt with a couple of them.

My interest in #1's is pretty specific. It has to have iron sights and the caliber has to pair up with another firearm I own. For example, I have bolt action rifles chambered in 275 Rigby and I paired them with a #1 in 275 Rigby. Same goes for 9.3x62, 30-06, and 270. I have a couple of pistol caliber #1's (475 Linebaugh & 460S&W) that I pair up with 45 Colt, 454C and 480 Ruger handguns. I'm still searching for a 6.5x55 and a 300H&H. They exist but I haven't yet found one for sale at a price I'm willing to pay. I recently sold a 223 Varmint #1 I took in trade because it didn't meet the iron sights criteria.

Of all the guns I own the one I'm most proud of and value most is my #1 275 Rigby. Supposedly there's only 113 of them and I'm fortunate enough to have one. It's the one firearm I consider to be an heirloom. I hope it stays in my family for generations.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
In my post I said I was looking for a No.1 in .270, of course I would like to get a good deal on the .222 Remington, I've seen a couple in the .223/5.56, but the wood on them was very plain, do like the marbled walnut, light or dark.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts