Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I strayed away from the #1s for a while after buying/selling four of various calibers, all red pads with really nice wood. Shame on me. Well, very recently I again fell to temptation and got a fine example of the #1-S in the serial range 132-XXXX, this one a 218 Bee. I had an Oregon Kimber 82 (KoO) several years ago that was chambered in 218 Bee, so I am familiar with the cartridge. Still had some brass in fact. Now that I've had a chance to shoot this beauty, I'm pleased to report that it is the most accurate of those I've had. I haven't shot it more than 20 rounds, yet, and I haven't saved any targets, but I'm very pleased. It's nice to be "back" with a #1 :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The 1-s in 218 is a great gun and yours looks like a beauty I had a 1b but sold it many years ago, still have a few just not in 218bee.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhhh!

I have 3 1S 218 Bees; one of which I had rechambered to 222 Rem.

Don't let the secret out that the 1S in 218 Bee is accurate and about as much fun to shoot (and reload for) as you can have with a No. 1

I'm also jealous and bewildered that you had a Kimber 218 Bee and let it go. That's one of my few remaining holy grail guns.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice looking rifle! I have the Winchester Mod 42 that my Father In Law gave me he had as a young man. He had a Lee Progressive press, dies, bullet mold, bullets and cases to boot.

Took it to my local Gunsmith and he checked it out and cleaned it up nice! If you don't reload, .218Bee goes for about $2 bucks a bang! If you can find it that is. Love the caliber, wish more rifles were chambered for it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I'm also jealous and bewildered that you had a Kimber 218 Bee and let it go. That's one of my few remaining holy grail guns.
I've been lucky enough to have had several KoO rifles. Some got sold to finance others, as is the case with the 218 Bee. It left to finance a KoO 82 "S" series chambered at the factory 25-20. Still have it and love it as much as one can love a gun. Just shot it yesterday as a matter of fact. It has wood almost identical to the 218 Bee I had, sort of a "marble cake" English walnut. Well, I hope you get your wish and find one of the KoO 218 Bees. They are out there! :)

Oh, at the risk of getting too off topic for a Ruger forum, I'll share one of the photos I found of the KoO Model 82 218 Bee Custom Classic. This is the only FL one:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... If you don't reload, .218Bee goes for about $2 bucks a bang! If you can find it that is. Love the caliber, wish more rifles were chambered for it!
It's almost impossible to find ammo right now. Brass, too. I've always reloaded this cartridge and for some reason I kept 100 new cases after I sold the Kimber. Getting the 1-S must have been meant to be! :D

As for reloading costs, I use 40 gr. Nosler or Sierra ballistic tip bullets and Lil'Gun powder, the same stuff I use for 22 Hornets. Even at today's component prices, it's cheap shooting for centerfire.

·
Registered
673 Posts
218 Bee

I had a Martini Cadet in 218 Bee. It was a fine rifle in a great little cartridge. I only sold it, when I decided to settle on 222 Remington as my medium range varmint round. I went with 222 Rem. over 218 Bee basically for two reasons. Brass is a lot easier to find and less expensive. Then there is the fact that 222 Rem. is still the most accurate 224" cartridge that is not a wildcat.

As you may have read, I sent my Ruger No. 1A in 222 Remington to Regan Nooneman to be converted to a 1V, still in 222 Rem. I am surprised that Ruger never made a 1V in 222 Rem. It seems like a no brainer to me. It also seems to me that 218 Bee deserves the heavier barrel of a 1V. If I was to buy another rifle in 218 Bee, it would be a Ruger 1V.

Here is my Martini Cadet in 218 Bee:

My Ruger No. 1V in 222 Rem. is scheduled to arrive back at my home tomorrow. I will post pictures, when it gets here. At that point, I will have three Rugers:
1. A Ruger Single Six Convertible
2. A Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger
3. A Ruger No. 1V in 222 Rem.

When I get a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Long colt, a Ruger IRSI in 243 Win. and a Ruger 1B in 7X57 Mauser, my collection will be done (HA! HA! HA! just kidding).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
...I am surprised that Ruger never made a 1V in 222 Rem. It seems like a no brainer to me. It also seems to me that 218 Bee deserves the heavier barrel of a 1V. If I was to buy another rifle in 218 Bee, it would be a Ruger 1V.
I too like the 222 Remington--- a lot! :)

Barrel weights? One observation about the 1-S version that maybe someone else can verify or refute: I believe the 1-S has a heavier barrel than the 1-A and might compare in girth to a 1-V, just with more/different taper than the 1-V. Open sights on the S, too. Looking at the muzzle of mine, the 22 cal bore looks sort of small for this barrel weight. Anyway, I love this 1-S and wouldn't want it any other way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
DD - The 1S is a medium weight (what Ruger calls the "B" weight/profile) barrel (same as the 1B). The V has a heavier barrel, probably a "C" weight, about the same as the 1H 375 H&H.

The 1A is a lightweight barrel.

Nice Kimber by the way! I have a Model 82 LH with killer wood that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I too like the 222 Remington--- a lot! :)

Barrel weights? One observation about the 1-S version that maybe someone else can verify or refute: I believe the 1-S has a heavier barrel than the 1-A and might compare in girth to a 1-V, just with more/different taper than the 1-V. Open sights on the S, too. Looking at the muzzle of mine, the 22 cal bore looks sort of small for this barrel weight. Anyway, I love this 1-S and wouldn't want it any other way.
Here is a picture of my 1V in 220 Swift. It weighed about 9 1/2 lbs* without a scope and was steady as a rock shooting with a Harris bipod:

My 1A in 222 Rem looked like this and weighed about 7 lbs.*

*The spec sheet on the Ruger site has several errors in the weights of the different models. They have a 1A and a 1V weighing the same. Ruger needs a copy editor.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I only have one, # 1 Ruger, mine is in .270 Winchester, heavy but very accurate. It is currently topped with a 4 x 12 Weaver. I have several Ruger hand guns:

Ruger Bearcat .22lr
6" Stainless Security 6 .357
5.5" Blackhawk .45 Colt
5.5" Vaqueo .44 mag
6 1/2" SBH Hunter .44 mag

Robin

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
That's a fine looking #1 in a fine shooting cartridge!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
25-20 brass reformed for use in this #1-S 218 Bee

I've had this #1-S 218 Bee for almost a week now, and I discovered something about the ammo I've been loading and reloading for it--- the influence of brass cases on quality and performance of a cartridge. I've always thought brass was more or less similar in quality. I don't think so anymore. Here's why.

I'll start with the fact that I had 100 new Winchester brand 218 Bee brass cases when I started. I loaded up 50 with the suggested "starting" load recipe from Hodgdon for their Lil'Gun powder and 40 gr. bullets. Since the #1 is a single shot, I could use a ballistic tip bullet, and I had two brands available, Nosler flat base "Armageddon" and Sierra BlitzKings, also a flat based bullet. Primers are Remington 6-1/2 commonly used for small rifle cartridges such as 22 Hornet and 25-20, among others.

Prep of the brass was pretty standard. FL sizing, slight chamfering and deburring of the necks, primer pocket uniforming, and careful primer seating. After loading and reloading the original 50 cases a couple of times I began to notice splits starting in the necks. I also noticed slight bulges on one side of the neck of loaded rounds, as if the bullet was seated askew slightly from the necks not being concentric. Well, I use an RCBS competition seating die and a high quality Harrell Bros. bench rest press. The FL sizing is done carefully with an RCBS sizing die. So, why, with no pressure signs on the heads of the cases, were these cases losing ground so quickly?

The only thing I have to use for a comparison test are some Remington brand 25-20 cases I have for my Kimber 82. So, I ventured into the unknown territory or reforming some 25-20 cases for the 218 Bee. Fortunately this experiment has told me a lot about brass quality. After running the 25-20 cases through the 218 Bee FL die, I made sure they would chamber in the rifle, then seated bullets to the same overall length and with the same primers and powder charges. Everything the same. When fired, the reformed cases completed their transformation into "218 Bee" cases moving the shoulder forward. The only difference is a shorter neck and overall length.

I've shot and reloaded these reformed Rem (R-P) cases several times now. Without exception, they are superior to the Winchester. Primers seat smoothly and consistently, ad bullets seat squarely and smoothly. When fired, the shorter necks still seem to seal properly to the rifle's chamber. And, the real proof, the resulting shots from these cases are dramatically more consistent.

I apologize for taking such a long time to make this point, but I thought just saying that when all other things being equal, the reformed R-P brass is superior to the original Winchester cases deserves an explanation.

Fortunately for me, while getting 218 Bee brass right now is hard to do, I happened to have lots of 25-20 brass. :) So, I'm going to park the Win stuff and only shoot the reformed cases for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
DD, the case problem stems from electrolysis caused by using Remington primers in Winchester cases! (this is not to be taken seriously)

I have a 1B .218 Bee which caused me to get a 1B .22 Hornet. As you said fun and accurate to shoot. I also load 40 gr. Ballistic Tips sitting on Lil' Gun but with Winchester primers WSR s I have not seen your issue ,yet, but will definitely keep a close watch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... I have a 1B .218 Bee which caused me to get a 1B .22 Hornet...
Bob, this is a great line! :) Certainly one to remember. I love the Hornet as well, but I shoot them in another type of rifle, a Kimber of Oregon. If I had to have just one centerfire, I'd pick the hornet. This #1-S Bee is sure a hoot, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts