Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my 10/22 today all went well. But when I came home and did a cleaning I noticed the 10 rd rotary mag was pretty dirty on the outside. I wiped it all down and wondered if anyone has taken it apart to clean and if not is it a good idea to do that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not recommended to take apart. There is a spring in there that you need to make sure that when you put it back together it has the same tension. There is a few youtube videos on how to disassemble and reassemble them. It is relatively easy. Just be careful of the spring.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have 10rnd mags that are at least 30 yrs old and have never been apart. They still work as well as brand new mags. The only reason I would take one apart would be if it stopped working reliably.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
+1 on all of those. i'd just wipe it down on the outside, and use a cue tip with solvent to get inside the lips, and that would be about it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Leave them alone until they no longer feed properly. Then you can take them apart for cleaning and a little lube (not hard to do).

·
Registered
91 Posts
i guess the best policy in this case is the old saying.."if it ain't broke..................

·
Registered
263 Posts
Never had to clean one. I would recomend getting a few extras and rotate their use. Midway USA has them on sale for around $11 if that is something you are interested in.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Agree with others. Pick up a couple extras when they are on sale. Midway had them on sale last month, the still have them for sale at $13. They will likely go back on sale again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I never take them apart to clean unless they don't work properly and I have taken them apart with no problem putting them back together. I have fixed them by taking them apart cleaning,smoothing rough spots, and dry lubing them. Nevertheless you should always have extra mags so if you do have possible mag problems you could just try another mag. And they don't cost that much. I use 2 mags in Rimfire Steel Challenge matches. I used clear mags this past weekend and when I lost count of how many rounds I had put in. I just counted the the rounds in the mag (clear).

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
90% isopropyl alcohol and compressed air to dry. pour it in let sit a few minye the thumb over feed slot shake dump dry with compressed air.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
What ddah, said, I've got an original 10 round Ruger magazine I bought with the rifle back in 1971, that still functions just fine, the only thing I've done is clean it fully assembled using a q-tip and alcohol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
90% isopropyl alcohol and compressed air to dry. pour it in let sit a few minye the thumb over feed slot shake dump dry with compressed air.
That's a lot cheaper than Gun Scrubber !
Thanks for the tip !!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's a lot cheaper than Gun Scrubber !
Thanks for the tip !!!
Just be sure to use the either 90 or 91% stuff as rubbing is more water than anything else. Yes it is cheap at 2 bucks a quart around here and use it to lube wire harnesses in the shop to pull it through DR-25 yet expect few to picture that unless in the wire harness biz.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts