Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I zeroed in my new Simmons 4x32 scope (which costs less than a brick of .22LR), and once it was reasonably close I was getting some decent groups. It was an indoor range, max 24 yards. The benches are too narrow to sandbag a rifle, so it was a jerry-rigged setup. If I could bench rest it properly I think I could get tighter groups.

But I think 0.55" without the flyer, 0.7" with one flyer is pretty darn good for a rifle everyone says is horribly inaccurate. :) And this wasn't a fluke, I had a couple others this tight, just not with the four holes touching.

I'm not a great rifleman either, in the hands of a really good shooter I think it would do even better.

Extrapolated to 50 yards this is a 1" to 1.5" group, 2-3" at 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Banned
650 Posts
Most 10/22 rifles I have shot have been very accurate. I do not pile up sandbags and try to shoot little tiny groups because that is all I can do at the local range. But I do shot some very tiny 3D targets. Anything I can find that is free/very cheap is subject to be a 22lr target. A 10/22 is accurate enough to pop a squirrel or a rabbit in the head every time at 50 yards. Some grey squirrels have a small head.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Most 10/22 rifles I have shot have been very accurate. I do not pile up sandbags and try to shoot little tiny groups because that is all I can do at the local range. But I do shot some very tiny 3D targets. Anything I can find that is free/very cheap is subject to be a 22lr target. A 10/22 is accurate enough to pop a squirrel or a rabbit in the head every time at 50 yards. Some grey squirrels have a small head.
+1.

Would you want to bring your stock 10/22 to a match and shoot against guys with $1,200+ Anschutz rifles? Well, most likely not. But a 10/22 is still pretty darn accurate. A couple weeks ago at the range a 9 year old girl was next to me with her 10/22. She was popping little 2-3" swinging steel targets at 50 yards with impressive regularity.

Also, as you state, a 10/22 is deadly to rabbits and squirrels (which is probably what Ruger designed it for back in the 60's).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Would you want to bring your stock 10/22 to a match and shoot against guys with $1,200+ Anschutz rifles?

Oh man that's the reason I want one for silhouette matches

·
Banned
650 Posts
Would you want to bring your stock 10/22 to a match and shoot against guys with $1,200+ Anschutz rifles?

Oh man that's the reason I want one for silhouette matches
I watched a 9 year old kid with a Citadel 22lr hold his own at the the steel challenge nationals. The Citadel is decent rifle, a M1 clone in 22lr. They were shooting 6" targets and the stop target was IDPA size. It's not like you needed a target rifle. Virtually every type of shooting has a hunting or stock class.

Like I have said before every form of competitive shooting is a game. No matter how good of a shot you may be you have to learn to play the game well to be competitive.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You got that 10/22 working for you! Nice shooting! I find the 10/22 to be quite a shooter- especially with a dot or scope. You have nice tight groups! :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,038 Posts
JohnR, 24 yards is fine for handgun accuracy. Try your 10/22 at rifle distances of 50 ~ 75 yards and see what happens. I have never seen your 10/22 but ... I'll bet you a Big Mac that my S&W Mod 41 pistol with a 7" barrel will out shoot your 10/22 at 50 yards. Notice I didn't set the stakes too high ... you might even win, but I doubt it because my Mod 41 will shoot mouse ear groups at 25 yards and sub-half inch groups at 50 yards.

Not trying to be a butt about it ... just realistic. I own four 10/22s myself and think they are about as fun as it gets for plinking. My 10/22 TD has a 4x scope ... shoots 1.5" groups at 50 yards at best. My older 10/22 walnut stock carbine would be hard pressed to shoot 2.5" groups at 50 yards but it doesn't have a scope. My Manlicher stock 10/22 has a Nikon 2~7x scope and on a good day, it might get 1" groups at 50 yards. Last is my custom build 10/22 with a 20" Green Mountain bull barrel and a Fajen stock. It will shoot sub-inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest on a dead calm day.

Point being ... accuracy has a different meaning to some folks. Minute of beer can bottom is fine for plinking and probably small game hunting but if you want REAL accuracy ... like small groups at 100 yards, you will be disappointed with most factory 10/22s.

In theory, if you double the distance, your groups will double in size. 4x the distance, 4x the group, just like you stated. In actual practice, it doesn't track that good. So ... for your gun ... I would expect it to shoot 4~5" groups at 100 yards .... anything tighter would surprise me, but it's not mission impossible.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Most of the 1022 Carbines I've had, with a quality scope, could do an inch or less at 50 yards IF I took the time to find the right ammo and IF I slowed down at the bench to work with the usual less than excellent out of the box 1022 triggers and so on. Now and then, though, I've even found one that can do some amazing things for group size at 50 yards. Personally, I think the 1022 Carbine is pretty darn accurate for what they are, namely, a light, handy little carbine. Let's face it, though, most folks don't buy stock 1022 Carbines as out of the box guns to shoot small groups at 50 yards.

As for using a 1022 for hunting, I always get a chuckle when I meet someone who thinks a 1022 doesn't have enough accuracy for squirrel hunting. Back in the day, more often than not, I grabbed the 1022 for squirrel hunting, even though we had much more accurate bolt guns. Never felt at all at a disadvantage with a 1022 and nothing handier for a day of tromping though the squirrel woods than a 1022.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iowegian, that's why I said, "Extrapolated to 50 yards this is a 1" to 1.5" group, 2-3" at 100 yards."

I can't even see a squirrel 100 yards away; for shooting something that far I'll use a different rifle and/or a more powerful scope. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
OP, my 10-22 carbine shoots a similar group to yours at 35 yards, max distance at my range.

My Anschutz single shot bolt action (45+ years old) shoots better. But, it has a 28 inch bull barrel and weighs a ton. So heavy I wouldn't want to carry it to the mail box, even with the sling.

·
Registered
464 Posts
JohnR, 24 yards is fine for handgun accuracy. Try your 10/22 at rifle distances of 50 ~ 75 yards and see what happens. I have never seen your 10/22 but ... I'll bet you a Big Mac that my S&W Mod 41 pistol with a 7" barrel will out shoot your 10/22 at 50 yards. Notice I didn't set the stakes too high ... you might even win, but I doubt it because my Mod 41 will shoot mouse ear groups at 25 yards and sub-half inch groups at 50 yards.

Not trying to be a butt about it ... just realistic. I own four 10/22s myself and think they are about as fun as it gets for plinking. My 10/22 TD has a 4x scope ... shoots 1.5" groups at 50 yards at best. My older 10/22 walnut stock carbine would be hard pressed to shoot 2.5" groups at 50 yards but it doesn't have a scope. My Manlicher stock 10/22 has a Nikon 2~7x scope and on a good day, it might get 1" groups at 50 yards. Last is my custom build 10/22 with a 20" Green Mountain bull barrel and a Fajen stock. It will shoot sub-inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest on a dead calm day.

Point being ... accuracy has a different meaning to some folks. Minute of beer can bottom is fine for plinking and probably small game hunting but if you want REAL accuracy ... like small groups at 100 yards, you will be disappointed with most factory 10/22s.

In theory, if you double the distance, your groups will double in size. 4x the distance, 4x the group, just like you stated. In actual practice, it doesn't track that good. So ... for your gun ... I would expect it to shoot 4~5" groups at 100 yards .... anything tighter would surprise me, but it's not mission impossible.
I have a bone stock 10/22 deluxe sporter and quite happy with it and agree with you on accuracy. I read 2 articles you wrote the one about parallax and 22LR ammo so now do not expect what is probably not possible on an average day. I have shot very tight groups at 50 yards (under 1/2 inch) on a perfect day and alone at the range with no distractions. All it takes is one AR15 with a muzzle break to open my groups up as a distraction. I shot a 3 inch group at 100 under the same conditions. I was pretty happy about that.

I think when you add up all the things that can go wrong with bulk ammo variable head spacing variable powder charge wind shifts and sure wish ranges would have a flag or two to indicate that. The thing is designed to shoot within one minute of squirrels head. If it does that a win for the money spent.

The only other thought I have is there is probably only 2 shops will spend my money at one discovered a year or so ago run by a long time gunsmith and the other in CT Hoffman's with the best service and prices I have ever seen especially on Ruger. When sales found out my first gun opened 4 new in box to find the nicest one with fewest manufacturing compromises. For me that redefines customer service. They all looked ok to me but he pointed out the compromises to me and went with the one with best trigger and smoothest action but one small flaw in stock. Ok has a 1/4 inch flaw and will no doubt add more. Went with his pick of the litter and glad I did as I would have bought the worst trigger in the perfect stock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
+1.

Would you want to bring your stock 10/22 to a match and shoot against guys with $1,200+ Anschutz rifles? Well, most likely not. But a 10/22 is still pretty darn accurate. ...
Actually, I would, and I do. I shoot 200 yards, off hand, with my stock 10/22 against guys with several varieties of rifles which cost between $1,000 and $3,000. My 10/22, with a $53 CVLIFE scope, put 30 shots in a 7" group at 200 yards, using just my elbows as a bench rest. My guess is that would at least be cut in half with proper bench rest techniques.
Having said that, I would like to get an Anschutz at some point. :)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the 10/22 and Simmons scope to the outdoor 50 yard range today. Once I got the scope zeroed it shot a 3/4" group from a sandbag rest. I must have one of the good ones (bought new in 2012).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts