Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Paw Paw
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, Went to the range this morning for some quality time.
Only took my 2 takedown 10/22's.
I've had generally good success for the last year with Remington Golden's 525 box qty
Today one round fired with a unusual Loud Bang, Debris came back all over my face & forehead.
Luckily I was wearing eyewear and a face mask.
After this It would'nt chamber a round. Upon close inspection, there was a shell casing still in the barrel. Being a take down made it easy to fix. I've never witnessed a failure like this.
The end cap/primer was blown completely off. I could not locate it.
I'm just guessing its a bad round,
Any thoughts?

thanks
Dave 22 lr defect.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Many years ago I had that exact thing happen with Remington Goldens and my MkII. Luckily had glasses, hat and gloves on. Still had most of the 100 box I'd bought. Took it back to the dealer and they gave me 2 100 boxes of "my choice" so that was when I first tried out CCI. Dealer pulled their entire inventory and sent them back (all the same lot), along with the shredded case. I don't buy them unless there is nothing else available. Definately contact Remington.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
It happens .... Mine was with Winchester Wildcat ammo . Blew the extractor off and damaged the rotary magazine . Had to return it to Ruger for repairs and still reluctant to shoot any Winchester Wildcat ammo .
There was a recall and if I returned the box , showing the lot number they would replace the ammo ... but honestly I didn't want any more of it .... You guessed it ... I started using Remington Golden Bullet in the 525 box ! Let us know if Remington has a recall out on this ammo !
C'est La Vie (Such Is Life)
Gary

·
Paw Paw
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got through to Remington really quick, They jumped all over it. Created a case number. She said a tech would be in contact with me soon. Emailed me a Fed Ex label. She recommended returning all I had with that Lot number,
SO I returned 2 full boxes of 525 and a partial. Fed ex drop off 2 blocks away! Said I could take replacements or my money. I honestly had good luck with these Goldens . I'll let yall know how it pans out

Dave

·
Paw Paw
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remington lady called me yesterday, The technicians couldnt replicate the problem. Said it could have been caused by a number of things. Today I received replacement ammo on UPS. Very quick turnaround. Over all I reckon it is what it is. No need to fuss about it.
They were very polite.

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
It happens. I have had it happen to me a few times with different ammo and weapons. An overcharged round?
DSC01379.JPG
A good bet it is.

I had two rounds go off from the same lot. My ammo was 1 year old before I started shooting it. The manufacturer had already recalled the lot. I shot the whole brick and those were the only two. The weapon in this case was a Colt 1911 rail gun.

Always wear safety glasses!
DSC01380.JPG
DSC01379.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts