Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how finicky is your 10/22 for certain ammo? I have a couple different 10/22 variations, all pretty much stock, and the one that has the least problems shooting well with any brand is my liberty model. The most finicky is the 22' bbl Wally World special 10/22 rifle. It seems to like the Remington Yellow Jackets best so far. I have tried all the bulk ammo, and some of the higher end stuff like Lapua. None of them like any CCI, especially the Stingers. However the RST4 Standard loves them. I shoot mostly mini-mags and Stingers in it. Guess I gotta buy a different brand for each.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've fired Stingers in 10/22, Rem 552, Apache M66 Rem., and revolvers-no trouble in any of them...maybe they're hotter now or something??? This was the 70s....my favorite round now....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey shepdawg, they shoot just fine, accuracy is a totally different subject. Like 4"+ groups at 50yds instead of the 1 1/2 to 2" of other brands.
I just picked up several more different ones to try this weekend. One was the Remington Golden Bullet. Never tried it but the Rem. copper jacketed shoot fairly good. Someone else said how crappy they are, so I guess I'll find out. It's just another excuse to go shooting.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Jimbo, you drinkin' Dixie or Pearl???? Switch to Miller Draft and your groups will tighten considerably---try a slower bullet for those tiny groups you're looking for-the Stinger, Viper, etc. really zip and may not be as much for accuracy as for smack power...I shot a heckuva lot of Sears ammo which I suspect was Federal...slower but just fine....I saw a box of Rem red/white a week ago and almost cried...must be getting old...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MGD use to be my lubricant of choice but when I started with the Lone Star or Rolling Rock, the MGD tasted like old pee. Not that I ever drank any old pee or anything, Just what I figgered it would taste like. Then there's that Abita stuff just down the road an hour or so. Whoa, that Turbo Dog will do ya in.
Truthfully, I stopped all that a couple years ago and only have a cold one on special occasion. So I want it to be a good one!
Got a box of Rem. goldens, Winchester white bulk pack, and the Federal copper plated bulk. That's 1650 rounds. The Federal Lightning blue box are the worst. It'll keep me busy for a couple of hours. Probably take the Single Six with both cylinders just to have something different to do.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Win Power Points and CCI Mini Mags are hard to beat for moderately priced ammo in a stock 1022. Fed bulk is very consistent as well. "Fed Champion" formerly known as "Lightning" does very well on the cheap in many stocker 1022s
However, in my target 1022s I'm finding great results with Federal Auto Match Target.

SD

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Song Dawg, Nice gun and very nice group.
As expected the Rem golden bullet functioned ok but nothing to write home about. The CCI mini mag were sporadic, but the Fed copper did pretty good for an econo box special. I have shot the Fed Lightning and they did not do well in this gun. With the Fed. I had 1 1/2" at 50yd with the stock 10/22 rifle, so I was happy. The Win White box 22 bulk are still out of stock so I didn't get the chance to try them.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Thanks gents! Yeah jimbo, I've probably shot more Fed bulk than anything else. Even given the recent price increases it's a very economical and dependable round. 1 1/2" @50 is realistic and generally results in mission accomplished!
The only gun of mine that shoots acceptable groups with Rem "Goldens" is a Marlin 60. It shot just about everything well.

Suggestion:
I learned several years ago while trying to get one of my boys 1022's to shoot that the proper torque on the stock screw was critical. The Ruger specs call for 30 in lbs. I found each gun can vary as much as 3 or so "in lbs". I replace all my 1022's stock screws with the allen headed type which provides for easier/accurate torqing.Then I set out to find the sweet spot on each gun. It was quite a difference.
This also proved worthwhile on the Marlin as well. Literally going from a softball to a nickel group with the same ammo.

SD

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had mine since 1987, and have never had a problem. I shoot CCI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts