Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local gun shop last evening. It was an absolute mad house. AR platform rifles sold out a couple of weeks ago. Now pump shotguns are selling faster than he can get them in the door. I observed a young couple contemplating a purchase. They put their name on the waiting list for a Mossberg 500 when/if some come in.

It appeared that neither of them had ever fired a shotgun. The young man had shot a handgun and perhaps a rifle. The young lady had never shot anything. The dealer had a shotgun which was sold but not yet picked up by the buyer and thus it was a demonstrator. He tried to explain to her that it would "kick like a mule" and that a 20 gauge would be a better choice. She had a hard time just cycling the thing.

It is obvious that people are worried and are purchasing firearms. Many for the first time. While a shotgun is certainly a good choice for home defense, certainly better than a high powered rifle which punch through your house and your neighbors... On the way home it occurred to me that a 10/22 might be a viable option for a beginner. While the .22 LR is not the best defensive cartridge, 25 rounds without reloading would certainly wear on a bad guy. And the 10/22 is a handy size for in-home use.

Your thoughts?

Ken

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
It's better than nothing. Not as loud as centerfire, not as overpenetrating. With a 25 round mag you can spray and pray I guess. I'd just make sure the ammo being used is reliable enough. But no gun is "good for beginners." You'd really need to practice and get some good coaching no matter what you buy. Shot placement is key, regardless of caliber.

·
Exchequer
4,429 Posts
Whether it is a .22 lr or a 44 mag, no one wants to get shot. But rimfire rounds are typically less reliable than centerfire. I'd recommend a good ol' 38 special 6-shot revolver with a 4 to 6 inch barrel loaded with wadcutters. Easy to operate for anyone -even a newbie -and effective.

If you live in fear that you will be invaded by a mob of freaks and zombies, you don't need a gun - you need to move to a safer hood.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A lot of people think a 22 is worthless as a defense weapon but how many would be willing to stand 25 yards downrange and take 10 rounds from a 22? If a 22 was all I had to use I would not hesitate to use it but would prefer to have at least a 9mm or bigger.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I had only my 10-22 and my .357 GP100 to choose from in a bug out, I would take the 10-22 and the weight of the hundreds more rounds that I could carry.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,559 Posts
A 22 can cause all sorts of internal injuries and could be suitable for a defense firearm, but practice would be the key. Even a charger for that matter. 25 rounds should be enough to turn anyone sane around.

I remember a story my dad told me about my grandmother. It seems I was a wee little lad, and my dad at the time was working the graveyard shift. Well my grandmother had come to stay with my mom to help with my sister and me. It seems that about 2 am she heard some noise in the backyard (we lived in the country). She thought it was a prowler, she had a high standard 8 or 9 shot 22 revolver. She did not hesitate to stick that revolver out the back door and crank off a couple rounds, no more sounds except dogs barking then. My dad found out because one of the guys that rode to work with him also on graveyard shift that lived in our neighborhood got home the next morning and said his wife was ill as a hornet all day Dad said why? He said his wife stated those dang dogs barked all night and I didn't sleep. My dad chuckled but never told him why they were barking.

I now have that revolver and when its fired it sounds like a 38, not a 22. I wouldn't want to be shot with a 22 or otherwise.

Normally when I start somebody off with a firearm its a 22, low recoil, lower noise, its easier to learn, then progress from their.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
A 22 can cause all sorts of internal injuries and could be suitable for a defense firearm, but practice would be the key. Even a charger for that matter. 25 rounds should be enough to turn anyone sane around.
My sentiments too Tacky...........If you poke enough holes in a boat it’ll sink.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Paul Harrell did a great 2 part video with 10 tips for pandemic gun buyers, I enjoy all of his videos but you may find a lot of useful information in these two, he is a 10/22 fan btw and so am I :)

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,725 Posts
I'd recommend a good ol' 38 special 6-shot revolver with a 4 to 6 inch barrel loaded with wadcutters. Easy to operate for anyone -even a newbie -and effective.

If you live in fear that you will be invaded by a mob of freaks and zombies, you don't need a gun - you need to move to a safer hood.
What the man said. Six-shot police trade-in S&W 64s can be had for under $350. +p .38s work well in them, penetrate and expand. See the Lucky Gunner ballistics results for .38 special.

We got one as well as a GP 100, one for me and my wife. Reliable and no fancy manual of arms. My AR is an outside gun For homestead defense. One person isn’t going to stand off a mob, unless you have a Browning M2.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get a lever action carbine 45 colt, few consider levers for HD and they're available. when the pandemics over you can go deer hunting and join cowboy action shooting

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,872 Posts
For many of my younger years, a 10/22 is all I had for home and self defense. And that was when 10 round mags were the only ones available. And I only had one mag. It seemed adequate at the time.
Funny. When I was young and living in my first apartment, all I had with me was my Rossi clone of the Winchester pump .22 galley guns. The tube magazine held quite a few rounds, and if I held the trigger back it would fire as fast as I could pump it.

I slept just fine with that beside the bed.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,559 Posts
What the man said. Six-shot police trade-in S&W 64s can be had for under $350. +p .38s work well in them, penetrate and expand. See the Lucky Gunner ballistics results for .38 special.

We got one as well as a GP 100, one for me and my wife. Reliable and no fancy manual of arms. My AR is an outside gun For homestead defense. One person isn’t going to stand off a mob, unless you have a Browning M2.
or this.... i own one.. 😉

·
Exchequer
4,429 Posts
Funny. When I was young and living in my first apartment, all I had with me was my Rossi clone of the Winchester pump .22 galley guns. The tube magazine held quite a few rounds, and if I held the trigger back it would fire as fast as I could pump it.

I slept just fine with that beside the bed.
Oh yeah! Those old carnival style pump 22s are sweet ...and fun as heck to shoot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
With good ammo and some ability to operate the 10/22 it is much better than hiding and hoping the cops get there soon!
People who have said before that they would never have a firearm are now buying them without knowledge of use, maintenance or laws.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts