Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there's a few aftermarket bolt buffers avail out there. Anyone running one and does it quiet the operation?

It seems like the factory method is a little Flintstonian, if that's a word. I want a happy bolt in my 10/22.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I see there's a few aftermarket bolt buffers avail out there. Anyone running one and does it quiet the operation?

It seems like the factory method is a little Flintstonian, if that's a word. I want a happy bolt in my 10/22.
I'd definitely be interested if there's something to buffer the action. I have a 10/22 that's broken 3 scopes (busted reticle + optics), then loosened the scope base mounting screws, totally stripping one. I've never had this issue with any other 10/22. And naturally, this one's the distributor exclusive, matte stainless (bead blasted), Kryptek stock, 50th anniversary engraved bolt. It just couldn't happen in my garden variety 10/22 ...

·
Banned
1,716 Posts
Yup i wont run my 1022’s without them. I use these as they are easy tio go in and get out when cleaning.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’ve used aftermarket buffers in my 3 Ruger autos for many years. Are they necessary? No, the factory steel pin works fine. Do they quiet the operation? Yes, a bit but it depends on the ammunition. Are there any drawbacks? Yes, they lighten your wallet and some report a reduction in reliability. I’ve had no negative side effects myself.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,109 Posts
I installed a Kidd, takes a good bit of the clack-clack out of the bolt cycle noise. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable.
Same for me.

Some use them, some don't just a preference thing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup i wont run my 1022’s without them. I use these as they are easy tio go in and get out when cleaning.
That's the one I use, the steel pin in the center makes all the difference.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good enough for me, I know Phish knows his guns. Just ordered 2, want them for when the Tandemkross charging handles get here. Thanx men!

·
Banned
1,716 Posts
That's good enough for me, I know Phish knows his guns. Just ordered 2, want them for when the Tandemkross charging handles get here. Thanx men!
If you decide you don't like them I will take them off your hands but highly unlikely you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Shoot a 10-22 enough with the steel pin and you will elongate the holes. I and several other people I know had it happen. Broke a couple of scopes too. Air gun rated scopes are tougher and held up but cheap scopes broke. We tried several things until we found nylon bolts which we cut to size. Then we found nylon rod stock. Now it is Delron. I have the Vitons in a couple of mine. Work well but a tad harder to get in and out. Not a deal breaker. I need to order a few more.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Shooting my 10/22 since 1973 ... No Buffer ... No Problems .
I don't fix things that aren't broke . I have noticed some folks just enjoy adding , changing and replacing factory parts withe every imaginable aftermarket part they can get onto and into a 10/22 ... I don't buy into that group .
Just because a part is sold doesn't mean you have to buy and use it and it doesn't mean it will be a needed improvement .
Gary

·
Banned
1,716 Posts
Majority of consumers don't even shoot 1K rounds in their 1022 in their lifetime so it may not benefit them and that is how Ruger designed it, while an avid competition shooter will put at least 1K rounds thru theirs in a month will benefit from an aftermarket product tremendously. If you are concerned about beating the hell out of your 1022 with high velocity ammo then it good thing to replace it what is available. I seen first hand what CCI Velociters and Stingers do to a receiver..... beats the hell out it that is. I only run Standard velocity and match grade ammo thru mine. But when a stage call for them damned swingers then you needs some Minimags.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I mostly ran HV through my 10-22s but I don't run Hyper Velocity through my semi autos. I was putting a lot of rounds down range on that early 10-22 and it elongated the buffer pin holes. I have 3 more of the Viton buffers on order.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a foot long piece of nylon rod and made my own. Had to put it in a drill and turn it down a bit with some sandpaper. I figure it will wear out before there is any damage to the holes in the receiver.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the Tandemkross charging handles + viton/stainless bolt buffers today. 5 min install in each 10/22. I'll get em out tomorrow + run a couple mags thru each. I'll say this now, the Tandemkross charging handle made reassembly duck soup compared to the Ruger handle. The one on my mine wasn't bad, but the one on my wife's, was very sloppy + made reassembly frustrating. No more, pull the handle back + drop the bolt in, all done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just made one out of a 1/4" nylon bolt. I really didn't notice much change, maybe quieter, just did it on a whim to disassemble my circa '77 10-22

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just made one out of a 1/4" nylon bolt. I really didn't notice much change, maybe quieter, just did it on a whim to disassemble my circa '77 10-22
When I posed this question, I had already ordered the new charging handles. That was the change I was tryin to make + my purpose was to make re-assembly easier. That change worked perfectly. Figured once I had it down to that point, if the bolt buffers made sense, now would be the time to do that also. I think Phish explained it pretty well above.

It's weird how many differences these two 10/22s have. Hers is the more expensive 10/22 Sporter Mod 1102. Mine is the cheap Mod 31139. While hers looks better with somewhat blued barrel, iron sights, walnut stock. Mine has matte barrel, no sights, and flimsy synthetic stock. Yet when I pulled them apart, the bolts look like they were made by 2 different companies. Hers looked like it was dumped outta the casting + mine looked like it was highly polished all around. And her charging handle was sloppy + bound up constantly while mine was tight + operated smoothly. Wish I would have taken pics while I had them apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Majority of consumers don't even shoot 1K rounds in their 1022 in their lifetime so it may not benefit them and that is how Ruger designed it, while an avid competition shooter will put at least 1K rounds thru theirs in a month will benefit from an aftermarket product tremendously. If you are concerned about beating the hell out of your 1022 with high velocity ammo then it good thing to replace it what is available. I seen first hand what CCI Velociters and Stingers do to a receiver..... beats the hell out it that is. I only run Standard velocity and match grade ammo thru mine. But when a stage call for them damned swingers then you needs some Minimags.
Very true, I mostly shoot paper these days but I can't remember ever shooting less than a 100 rounds in any .22. Matter of fact most of the time I shoot a hundred rounds through just about anything I am shooting unless it is a quick function and accuracy test. these days of hard to find ammo I just save up and a little longer between range time.

Oh, one exception. I shoot trap and skeet and I always shoot a hundred plus 12 gauge in practice or competition. We have a Tuesday night trap shoot every Tuesday. Got a 725 Browning in November and already have over a thousand rounds through it! Some thing I just will not allow to change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Factory works fine with some minor tweaks, the weakest point being the extractor. I love to tinker, but I have point where it’s just more money for very little improvement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts