Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 10/22 breakdown and installed a Volquartsen hammer kit and modified bolt hold open by grinding off nub and increasing upper radius of hole as instructed by the many "how to" sources on internet & YouTube..

After these two modifications I can barely get the hold open to engage with no mag installed. If I have mag inserted the mechanism works great. Thought there might be a friction problem with the hold open surfaces so I sanded off factory finish and polished both sides to a mirror finish, deburred filing areas, and lubricated both sides. Also, insured dog leg of spring was located properly and has downward tension. Still not much improvement.

Problem appears to be binding between hold open plate and mag release mechanism (B-36 per parts list). There seems to be a lot of slop in the hole B-36 passes thru and the B-36 spring and lever combination torques it left thus binding against the hold open plate and wall of receiver. With a mag installed B-36 is pushed straight inward with no left torquing and hold open plate moves freely.

I also have my trusty 70's model 10/22 with same modifications and it works perfectly with mag in or out. I tried swapping bolt hold open from old Ruger but no change.

I know there are hundreds of postings about various issues on 10/22 bolt releases and possibly this may have been addressed but I can't find my particular binding problem. I appreciate your patience in giving a solution again if you know of one.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
You're right that it's the magazine catch that is getting out of alignment. I have one that does that, too. I install the mag catch and mag release last, after all the other parts are installed so that the bolt lock plate can help guide it, and I make sure the mag catch is sliding free before re-installing the trigger group in the receiver.

Kidd makes a replacement mag catch that some say works better. I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RNGreenHat,

Took you suggestion and dismantled all trigger components and re-installed as you advised. While I had the Mag Release assembly (B-36) out I also decided to reverse the shaft spring while at it. Glad to report that binding seems to be significantly lessened and something I can live with.

As I haven't even fired this rifle yet things may loosen up even more with some rounds thru it.

Thanks for your info and keeping me from getting my grinding wheels out and messing up something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts