Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

I was all psyched up this evening. I had ordered the "Fireswitch" extended mag release for my 10/22 and it arrived in today's mail. I was disassembling the 10/22 to install the mag release, and as I did I noticed that the bolt stop pin had broken in half!! What a drag! Particularly because I was planning to go to the range tomorrow!

This is a fairly new 10/22. I bought it new less than a year ago at my local gun shop. I have about 2,000 rounds in total through it, all Winchester M-22. I should add that except for a picatinny rail on top and the extended mag release, the gun is completely stock.

So, my question is, what is the best product to replace this bolt stop pin with so it won't break again and/or damage the bolt or egg out the holes in the receiver in which it rests? Is this a common issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve never had that happen on any of my 10-22’s and some have had many thousands of rounds through them. But, it must happen if there’s a solution to the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
possible solution

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I like the looks of the Kidd replacement with the pin inside flexible tubing. In the meantime, I also found a number of videos on Youtube that show how to replace the factory Ruger steel pin with cut down 1/4" X 3" nylon bolts supposedly available at Lowe's. I think I will try that as a stop gap until the Kidd one can arrive.

I would post a link to youtube video where the nylon bolt solution is discussed, but I need more posts on the forum to be able to post a link.

What do you guys think of this method?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Folks:

I was disassembling the 10/22 to install the mag release, and as I did I noticed that the bolt stop pin had broken in half!! What a drag! Particularly because I was planning to go to the range tomorrow!
?
I think you've made history here. I've never heard of that happening. I replaced the one in my circa 1972 10/22, about 4 years ago. Not because it was broken or worn, but just to quiet the action a bit when it cycled. I went with the VQ bolt stop pin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re:

I think you've made history here. I've never heard of that happening. I replaced the one in my circa 1972 10/22, about 4 years ago. Not because it was broken or worn, but just to quiet the action a bit when it cycled. I went with the VQ bolt stop pin.
I would post a photo of the busted pin, but I don't have enough posts here to add a link. I can send you a photo via email if you like.

It definitely seems odd, though. It's not like M-22 Winchester ammo is +P+ or anything like that. I thought it was regular old plinking ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I like the looks of the Kidd replacement with the pin inside flexible tubing. In the meantime, I also found a number of videos on Youtube that show how to replace the factory Ruger steel pin with cut down 1/4" X 3" nylon bolts supposedly available at Lowe's. I think I will try that as a stop gap until the Kidd one can arrive.

I would post a link to youtube video where the nylon bolt solution is discussed, but I need more posts on the forum to be able to post a link.

I just got back from Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowes. No one had that 1/4" X 3" nylon bolt mentioned in the various Youtube videos in stock. Drats. The clerks all indicated they didn't think it was available even from suppliers.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks very much! That's a great tip!
you're welcome ... of course, if you want to go even cheaper, McMaster-Carr has the rods as low as $0.43/ft in white, black or 'slippery' brown:

https://www.mcmaster.com/acetal-rods

i try to be frugal with some parts of my hobbies - that's why i'm quite pleased that my Charger TD eats $0.03/rnd Aguila SV...

:)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
783 Posts
Probably a flaw in the pin that finally fractured. I lost my pin when cleaning my 10/22 a few months ago. I had some O1 tool steel that I bought to make carving tools out of, and cut off a chunk of that. A bit over kill, but at least I had it. I ended up with the Kidd elastomeric bolt stop pin, which I bought because the bolt slamming actually cause my scope to come loose. You can use any 1/4" steel rod you have handy so that you can go to the range.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
There’s really no reason not to put another stock buffer in from Ruger. You simply had a defective one. Most stock buffer pins will last pretty near forever.

·
Exchequer
5,124 Posts
There’s really no reason not to put another stock buffer in from Ruger. You simply had a defective one. Most stock buffer pins will last pretty near forever.
I agree with this.

And, if you call Ruger CS, they might just mail one out to you for free .....if you ask.

·
Registered
99 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-9...lt+1/4"X3"&qid=1561256033&s=industrial&sr=1-1

·
Registered
275 Posts
Such is the woes we suffer for cost effective mfg.
My Dixie Chopper 72 in mower had a hanger break. Upon inspection the metal a high nickel steel had cracked when they bent it to shape. It is either 3/8 or 1/2 in thick. You could see the crystalized steel in the bend easily. Covered under 4 year warranty but we just welded it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I replaced the bolt stop pin in my 10.22 magnum with one from Volks(can't spell it right now).
On my 10.22 with vhv ammo I can clearly hear the bolt hit it like a hammer on ringing steel. I've got to replace that pin with the same one. I had perused most on the internet and they are all similar but with maybe a different color except the one with a pin in the middle and rubber cover. They sell it with replacement rubber tubes or covers. They are expected to wear out.
A heavier recoil spring seems like a good idea but I can find only one offer of three spring in a set, lighter, stock and just a bit heavier and a new rod if wanted.
So far I haven't read of any failures of any of these replacement and easier on the bolt pins but I ahven't been around that long. I don't really care if a dozen fail as long as that can't be replace tungsten bolt in the 10.22 mag doesn't fracture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got back from Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowes. No one had that 1/4" X 3" nylon bolt mentioned in the various Youtube videos in stock. Drats. The clerks all indicated they didn't think it was available even from suppliers.
I use nylon 1/4 X 20 X 1.5" bolts that I cut to length. I then insert the nylon bolt into a sleeve of 1/4" heat shrink and hit it with an electric heat gun. This method reinforces the nylon bolt incase it does fracture, you're not nylon pieces out of your action. Cost of nylon bolts = .59 ea., cost of 1/4" heat shrink = $3.19 for a package of six four inch tubes. You can make eighteen buffers for less than $15.00.
Gary

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I made my own using 1/4" O.D. (forget the I.D. as it was scraps I had on hand) clear hose that most hardware stores sell by the foot for cheap. Inside the hose I put a split roll pin from the assortment kit I keep on hand that was a slight snug fit and the right length.

Made three of them 5-6 years ago and my 10-22 is still running the first one.

Best part about it is the pin doesn't fall out and roll away to parts unknown when I remove the action from the stock.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
As an expedient until you can get something better, a piece of 1/4" steel rod or a long partially- threaded 1/4" bolt could be cut down to fit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts