Ruger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been shooting 10/22s since the 70s, and never even heard of such a thing. Buy a Kidd or VQ, and sleep sound soundly. It might sound crazy, but maybe the recoil spring is too much. If the stop pin breaks again, Ruger sells lighter springs, I think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hopefully this is not to off topic, but I've thought of replacing my bolt stop pin with a poly one to cut down on noise, someone mentioned their scope walking on them in regards to this. Do these none metallic pins help with that? Honestly I have a cheap Simmons (I know that's my first mistake but it's what I have for now) that walks all the time, I have resorted to gobs of hot glue on the rail to stop this, then before we shoot again I re-zero with laser bore sight and reglue. Just trying to pick your brains and experience.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hopefully this is not to off topic, but I've thought of replacing my bolt stop pin with a poly one to cut down on noise, someone mentioned their scope walking on them in regards to this. Do these none metallic pins help with that? Honestly I have a cheap Simmons (I know that's my first mistake but it's what I have for now) that walks all the time, I have resorted to gobs of hot glue on the rail to stop this, then before we shoot again I re-zero with laser bore sight and reglue. Just trying to pick your brains and experience.
That would be me. I have a Kidd bolt stop pin, which is a piece of automotive vacuum hose (looks like) with a steel pin in the center. I have yet to see the scope move since I put it in. Yours is only the second case of a scope moving like this that ever heard of. I don't know if nylon would work. It cycles much quieter with that bolt stop pin, but the noise wasn't the issue, at least for me. I use earplugs and earmuffs. I'm currently using a BSA Sweet17 scope that I got for about $40 at Dick's. Cheap, but it has AO and I went from 196.5/200 up to 198.1/200 on average.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I Use a Kidd; nylon/stainless rod center

And it's cheap; $5.95 last I saw. It's quietly withstood almost 1,100 rounds of .22 LR without a murmur and I haven't had to use the identical make and model I keep as a backup in my Shooter's Box.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts