Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I shot 550 rounds of Federal, came home to clean the gun and upon disassembly I noticed that the bolt stop pin was broken again. It broke on me +two years ago. I e-mailed Ruger and let them know. Last time they sent me a new pin for free and hopefully this time they will too. Is there something I can do to prevent this? Is there a more durable bolt?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I haven't had mine but for two years. I would recommend getting a polymer bolt stop pin. They sell for less than 5 bucks for a bag of three online. I heard it relieves stress on the receiver but I'm not sure about the pin. If it happens once every 2+ years, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very curious. I have had my 10/22 for almost 30 years. Gone through countless 10,000s of rounds of ammo and never had a problem or breakage I can remember. I wonder if the stel used these days isn't up to the task? I know it doesn't help you but I do find it odd.
Darrell

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 on a polymer bolt stop pin, or even making them yourself out of long 1/4" nylon bolts. I'm not sure how much they reduce wear and tear on the receiver, but a big plus is how they reduce the loud CLANK! noise of the bolt flying back each time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 on a polymer bolt stop pin, or even making them yourself out of long 1/4" nylon bolts. I'm not sure how much they reduce wear and tear on the receiver, but a big plus is how they reduce the loud CLANK! noise of the bolt flying back each time.
I concur 100%. The synthetic replacements are cheap & easy to install. Might also help extend the life of other internals, too, as the recoil impact will no longer be metal on metal.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just order one of Kidds 10/22 bolt buffers granteed for life. Easy to do remove old pin install rubber part of buffer and then insert steel center pin done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts