Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new lady friend purchased a 10/22 carbine synthetic at a gun show ( this was before I knew her) and I got some questions about it.

First the seller said it was new...

1. The action doesn't stay open on the last round. Is this normal? -I don't think it is but I'm just wanting to make sure.

2. There is no butt pad on the stock just that back edges with the hollowed out center. - Rip off by seller?

3. The front sight works its way off while shooting. Shouldn't the sight be firmly set in place? I'm assuming factory QA?

I know it's unRugergarian to know nothing about the 10/22 and any help would be greatly appreciated :eek:

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to add too that she also bought a Sig Misquito. All I can say is the sr22p runs circles around that thing.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
My new lady friend purchased a 10/22 carbine synthetic at a gun show ( this was before I knew her) and I got some questions about it.

1. The action doesn't stay open on the last round. Is this normal? -I don't think it is but I'm just wanting to make sure.

2. There is no butt pad on the stock just that back edges with the hollowed out center. - Rip off by seller?

3. The front sight works its way off while shooting. Shouldn't the sight be firmly set in place? I'm assuming factory QA?

I know it's unRugergarian to know nothing about the 10/22 and any help would be greatly appreciated :eek:
that all sounds pretty much off to me. action should stay open. no butt pad on stock, not right. my front sights don't move (although my rear sights on both of my 10/22s are angled strangely straight from the factory.

·
Registered
68 Posts

To my knowledge no Ruger 10/22 has a last round hold open from the factory.

There is a an Automatic Bolt Stop made by CST that allows this to happen, you can see it HERE

So this is normal =)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
All I can say on the subject is the 10/22 does not hold the bolt open on the last round. So atleast thats fine. The rest I cant speak for.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bolt does not hold open after the last shot for 10/22s. I believe they have always been that way.

Front sight should not be coming off. To remove them, most people have to use a punch, a hammer, and often some lubricant. They are set on there pretty tight and I believe they have a little bit of solder as well to prevent them from ever coming loose. My guess is someone removed the stock sights (or at least the front sight) and replaced them with something else. Then the original owner put back on the stock sights when he sold it.

Not sure about the stock. For the synthetic stocks, there is no butt "pad", there is only a groove for your shoulder. Not quite sure what you mean by hollowed out?... On mine, the whole stock is synthetic. There is no rubber or metal pad. There might be a way to remove the plastic plate from the back of the stock, is that what you are referring to? (it has the ruger logo on it) I just checked and it doesn't look like you can remove it without really really wanting to. The back of a synthetic stock should be checkered and should have the Ruger logo on it.

So if it was really brand new, at the very least, the sight thing is problem. Shouldn't be like that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
10/22 do not come with a bolt hold open option. Must get one from accessory market. Normal stock does not come with butt pad. Also, normally they have a cut away to ensure tight fit into shoulder. covered by a thin plastic or metal plate screwed onto the end of the stock. No reason why a .22 cal rifle would need a butt pad. Cant answer about front sight. If it is lose, just lightly peen over one edge of the grove or use some "Lock Tight". Don't worry about it. If you have a girlfriend who buys her own guns, you are miles ahead of the rest of us. Good luck.

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10/22 do not come with a bolt hold open option. Must get one from accessory market. Normal stock does not come with butt pad. Also, normally they have a cut away to ensure tight fit into shoulder. covered by a thin plastic or metal plate screwed onto the end of the stock. No reason why a .22 cal rifle would need a butt pad. Cant answer about front sight. If it is lose, just lightly peen over one edge of the grove or use some "Lock Tight". Don't worry about it. If you have a girlfriend who buys her own guns, you are miles ahead of the rest of us. Good luck.
Yeah my lady friend she all about the gun shows. I wish I met her before she bought them so i could have got her into a SR22p or Walther P22 but it's all good.

Yeah there is no cover on the back of the stock. The front site is all plastic with a fiber optic insert.

Thanks everyone for the info thus far it's much appreciated!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah my lady friend she all about the gun shows. I wish I met her before she bought them so i could have got her into a SR22p or Walther P22 but it's all good.

Yeah there is no cover on the back of the stock. The front site is all plastic with a fiber optic insert.

Thanks everyone for the info thus far it's much appreciated!
You're a lucky man! :) Brownell's and eBay both have front sights available and eBay often has good deals on OEM take-off stocks.

Enjoy that 10/22!

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're a lucky man! :) Brownell's and eBay both have front sights available and eBay often has good deals on OEM take-off stocks.

Enjoy that 10/22!
Hey thanks. We been on a few dates but nothin serious. She's a dang good shot though. She's still a bit scared of the bigger calibers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts