Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i need to clean my ruger 10/22? this will be the first time ever cleaning a gun any help is appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
There are many YouTube videos on disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the 10/22. There are also a million ways to clean and lube guns. There is no right way.

Ruger has YouTube videos on this. A couple of good youtube channels to check out are hickok45 and theARMORYchannel. They both have some excellent cleaning videos.

I personally use Ballistol, Hoppes patches and a Hoppes bore snake.

One more thing: most folks here clean their guns thoroughly every time they even think about firing them. That being said, though, a 10/22 really requires very little cleaning. You don't actually ever have to clean the bore, and the action can often go 1000 rounds before you start seeing hiccups while shooting. You will need to decide this kind of thing for yourself.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Oh, as far as cleaning kits go, how much do you want to spend? An inexpensive rifle cleaning kit will have the basics for less than $20. You can spend way more if you want.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you only plan on having a .22 rifle, then any decent rod, some jags and patches, and a bore brush along with a bottle of Hoppes 9 and some Rem oil will do you for a long time.

If on the other hand you end up like many of us do, with multiple caliber handguns and rifles, a decent cleaning kit would be less expensive in the long run.

I have recently been mostly using the Otis system and it does fine. A flexible coated cable that you pull through from the muzzle end and various size brushes, etc. It all fits in a little pouch. There are various size kits, but this one from Midway is a good starter.

Otis Deluxe Rifle Pistol Cleaning System

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you only plan on having a .22 rifle, then any decent rod, some jags and patches, and a bore brush along with a bottle of Hoppes 9 and some Rem oil will do you for a long time.

If on the other hand you end up like many of us do, with multiple caliber handguns and rifles, a decent cleaning kit would be less expensive in the long run.

I have recently been mostly using the Otis system and it does fine. A flexible coated cable that you pull through from the muzzle end and various size brushes, etc. It all fits in a little pouch. There are various size kits, but this one from Midway is a good starter.

Otis Deluxe Rifle Pistol Cleaning System
Big plus on the Otis system. I've been using them for years on every gun I own. I buy mine on eBay for cents on the dollars. Just know what you are buying and don't get into a bidding war. Use esnipe. You can use any brushes, tips or patches. The patches, just cut a slit on your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts