Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 10/22 competition after trying a couple different models out. A red dot was sighted in with conical hollow points by Point Blank. When I tried my usual target round nosed brands, CCI, Federal, it failed to feed from multiple mags. Bullets would jam into the top of the bore when operating the bolt. Also the mag release often did not return flush against the trigger despite proper mag seating. Half moon slivers of lead were beneath the gun during shooting. This gun is not ready for steel challenge and was sent back to Ruger for service. Will update progress and experience here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll just note that Ruger Target and Tactical models are known to have a tighter chamber than most other .22 LR rifles. Perhaps yours is a little too tight... I'm sure Ruger will get it straightened out if you stay on them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that somewhere too, agreed. I thought it had to be that or else something to do with mag seating, given the improper mag release lever positioning. I have had a few pistols back to Ruger in the past that were fixed, so while disappointed in the custom shop, I am hopeful they can fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Seems like in the operator manual it specifice ammo not to be fired in these models. Something about headspace and muzzle velocity, maybe??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual for this model only recommends to not use “stinger” 22LR. Seems they are a different size from the manual diagram. None of the ammo I use, 36 or 40 gr round nose standard velocity are this type. Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are "conical hollow points by Point Blank" wax coated?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Point blank is a range and gun store. Apologies for the poor writing. I only know that they sighted my red dot with this type of 22 LR, but don’t know the brand. The store will get back to me about the brand used by the armorer and whether he experienced failures to feed. I am wondering why they used this bullet type.

PS love your gun control works poster!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like #2 had it on the mark. Just got off the phone with Ruger and the tech chamfered and polished the chamber, among a few other things, and shot 30 rounds without incident. I will post my experience at the range when I get it back. I’ll run a few hundred CCI across 6 mags.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Ruger seems to have gotten it sorted out, looking forward to the range report (the real test).

By the by, while I've been called number 1 lots of times, and number 10 a few times, this is the first time I've been called number 2...a milestone!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I have had issues with some uncoated target rounds in my tactical version. Will eat coated M22 ammo all day long with no issues. They do leave your fingers black.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm glad to hear that Ruger seems to have gotten it sorted out, looking forward to the range report (the real test).

By the by, while I've been called number 1 lots of times, and number 10 a few times, this is the first time I've been called number 2...a milestone!
My apologies, rascally. My wife calls me #2 all the time when she wants something done. Some kind of scatological Star Trek joke I think.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My apologies, rascally. My wife calls me #2 all the time when she wants something done. Some kind of scatological Star Trek joke I think.
No apologies needed, Ruger. For my context you need to know that I spent 10 years in Asia, where #1 and #10 have specific meaning... If you're #1 you're really good. #10 means you're...the opposite.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the rifle back from Ruger yesterday and ran a few hundred CCI and Federal rounds through the gun. I had no failure to feeds. I had no 10 round mag problems across 6. I had one bullet that did not go bang and one problem with a 25 round mag. Accuracy was good. No bullet shavings were found under the gun. Customer service was outstanding for each of four calls. The tech chamfered and polished the chamber and adjusted the mag release lever. Looking forward to using my Ruger mark IV and this 10/22 in steel challenge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a Competition Model a couple weeks ago. Only shot it a few times at home at 25 yards. CCI SV and Subsonic Hollow points grouped the same for me. I'm pleased with it's "one ragged hole" performance but it didn't run reliably that first time out. Had a few failures to clear the ejection port but it's brand new too. I have it torn down now waiting on CST to install their Second Gen Auto Bolt Stop Kit, after that, it goes to Brimstone for their 2 LB BX Trigger job, Pull Mag Release and maybe their Receiver Hole for cleaning rod. In the meantime, I have a pair of Kidd's Threaded Receiver Pins on the way. :eek::D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi cmb,

Thanks for sharing. Yesterday I tried Winchester M22 and had 3 failures to clear out of 85 shot from my 10/22 comp. This was only the second time back to the range after mine was fixed, so it is “new” too. Did not have this error first time out after the fix. My Ruger Mark IV ate these Winchester bullets up without error. I’ll go back to testing CCI mini mag and SV next time out.

I bought mine so I did not have to upgrade anything. I see a different perspective at play here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts