Ruger Forum banner

10/22 Conversion

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  SR-22 DRUM 
#1 ·
I’ve searched some posts and don’t see an exact match for my question.
I’m looking to convert my standard 10/22 to a more AR15 style so I can practice more with it and save on ammo. I’ve looked at endless stocks, ATI, Promag, Choate, FAB etc.
Does anyone have experience with this idea and is it worth it? The conversion will not handle the same, weight recoil, but the mechanics might be similar enough.
Also, which stocks are worth it? Reviews on ATI are bad, on Promag mixed. As long as it has an adjustable stock and can take a foregrip and optic, it doesn’t have to look like an AR.

#3 ·
#6 ·
There is no conversion kit that I am aware of that will make a 10/22 mimic the same manual of arms an AR-15. As others have said, a dedicated upper, a conversion bolt for your AR, or a S&W M&P 15-22 are your best choices. I would go for the dedicated upper over a conversion bolt for better accuracy. The conversion bolt would rank third out of those choices for me.

I have a dedicated upper (bought as a complete rifle actually) from CMMG. I added a Redi Mag kit to the upper to give me last round bolt hold open and allow me to use S&W M&P 15-22 magazines that were readily available locally. I bought my son the 15-22 when he was 11, and moving him to an AR-15 was easy as the 15-22 mimics the manual of arms right out of the box. Downside is that it is much lighter.

#7 ·
Hmmm. Never considered getting a separate upper. I’ll look into that. I don’t want to get too much into swapping out the innards of my AR, but swapping the full upper seems quite simple.
Still, if anyone has experience with any 10/22 conversions I’d like to hear about them. Quality of stock, price etc

#9 · (Edited)
#12 ·
You may want to have a look at this Tippman of which they have different models of. Great reviews too.

When Ruger came out with the SR-22 rifle many said it was too heavy. Plastic was the thing. Now there are at least three companies that are making all metal ones.

Camouflage Military camouflage Machine gun Air gun Trigger

#14 ·
friend of mine at work has the Troy chassis for his 10/22. thats about the best looking 10/22 to AR conversion I've seen. problem is they weren't cheap at about $400 for the chassis, and may be out of production now.

myself, i wanted the same thing, a 22lr AR, but wanted it to feel "real". i priced out a 10/22, chassis, handguard, stock, barrel, trigger set and by the time I was done the price was upwards of a regular AR rifle. so i decided to do just that. got a basic AR556 and dropped in the CMMG 22 conversion bolt. its been a lot of fun but i had to run hotter loads through it when new. CCI mini mags worked best. anything at around 1000fps or less had trouble cycling the bolt far enough back to load the next round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.