Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I picked up an old Ruger 10/22 a few weeks ago for dirt cheap. I originally picked it up as a base gun to start modding; however, once I looked into the mid to late 60's serial number and the "D" prefix I wondered if this would be more of a collectors item. If you think this is a collectors item, I would appreciate an estimate on what I could get for it. Overall the gun is in good condition. The stock is fair with some wear marks, the reciever and barrel are in remarkable condition for being a used gun. It also comes with the original magazine.
Wood Trigger Automotive exterior Line Air gun
Wood Air gun Trigger Office supplies Shotgun

Wood Office supplies Metal Fashion accessory Natural material

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,760 Posts
The earlier 10/22s like yours were quite a gem. They had real walnut stocks, metal trigger group, metal barrel band, and a metal butt plate, all being very desirable and adding about $100 to the normal value. The "D" prefix in the serial number stands for "duplicate S/N". Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, Ruger didn't manage their serial numbers very well so sometimes two guns ended up with the same serial number. Ruger hand stamped the "D", which seldom aligned well with the rest of the serial number.

In some Rugers, especially Old Model single action revolvers, a "D" prefix would increase the value considerably, providing the gun was in excellent condition. With 10/22s .... not so much because they aren't nearly as collectible when millions have been made. If your 10/22 was in brand new condition, likely the "D" prefix would make it worth a few bucks more. The Blue Book of Gun Values places a $200 price on a standard carbine in 95% condition. I think your 10/22 carbine is worth about $300 because of the stock and metal parts.

The good news is ..... nearly all 10/22 mods are reversable so I don't see any reduction in value as long as you use drop-in parts and keep the originals for restoration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts