Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 500-600 rounds through my 10/22 it was obvious that a thorough cleaning was due. So I checked websites about disassembly and cleaning, and some YouTube videos as well. I was able to get only as far as getting access to the trigger assembly. But I could not get the two pins out to drop the trigger out. You know, the two pins that some websites say might actually fall out. Heck, it seems like the two pins are about frozen in place. So what are my options? I know I can have my local gunsmith disassemble and clean it, but I would rather do it myself. Suggestions?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Use a punch and a mallet and drift the pins out. I place my receiver assembly on top of two blocks of wood to do this. If your rifle is new, it will take a few taps with the mallet to drift them out. Older actions tend to be looser with wear and the pins will slip out.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine is a little more than a year old and I just use a punch to push them out. No hammer needed. I don't remember them being that tight though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are correct on the process. If you take it to a gunsmith and he in counters the stobborn pins, he will just smack them hard. So you mind as well give them a good wack.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
+1 on the above. i actually had to whack mine pretty hard the first time. hardest part for me wasn't actually the pins the first time (though they weren't easy)-- it was getting the bolt assembly and spring back in and sliding right. that also got easier with time, shooting, and cleaning.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
+1 on the above. i actually had to whack mine pretty hard the first time. hardest part for me wasn't actually the pins the first time (though they weren't easy)-- it was getting the bolt assembly and spring back in and sliding right. that also got easier with time, shooting, and cleaning.
+1 on that. It's easy to take apart, but not so easy to put back together. Way easier, though, than putting the bolt back in my Marlin 60.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Use a punch and a mallet and drift the pins out. I place my receiver assembly on top of two blocks of wood to do this. If your rifle is new, it will take a few taps with the mallet to drift them out. Older actions tend to be looser with wear and the pins will slip out.
Ditto

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thank you all. I'll give the rifle a whack (carefully).
I have not seen frog lube around here. Will have to Google it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If you decide to take your trigger group apart there is a good video on that on YouTube also... search trigger shims 10/22...it will come up...

I press the pins out of mine with anything that will fit...usually an Allen wrench...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, I was wondering what size gunsmithing screwdriver I should buy to remove the stock from my 10/22 TD?

Also what size punches do I need? I dont want to buy an entire set just yet. Wanna make sure its American made, no luck on ebay or amazon. Any other websites I should check out?

Or am I crazy and any old tool will work???

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I use a wooden dowel most of the time. A few good whacks will get it out. Make sure youre drifting towards the ejection port as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts