Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys please have a look at these not-so-great pics and see if you can tell if I have a problem with my extractor. While I might know my way around a revolver I am a 10/22 newbie. My 10/22 is about three years old and it has always seemed to have problems with "Stove Pipe" extraction regardless what ammo I use or which of the twelve magazines I have. Ten "10 Round" magazines and two "BX-25" magazines. Blazer ammo seems to be the best but none really run up to my satisfaction. I am intending to use this rifle at an Appleseed event so I need to get it running as well as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looks kinda crooked to me. Stock Ruger extractors are stamped where good aftermarket ones are wire edm cut. The wire edm ones have sharp hooks that grab the case rim better. Stamped parts are more rounded. You can see the rounded edge in your first and third pic.

I'd start with a good wire edm cut extractor like a Tony Kidd. They aren't real expensive and he has fair shipping charges.

10/22® and Ruger® 10/22® aftermarket trigger, barrel and parts by KIDD Innovative Design is his site.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The angle looks correct to me. The extractor slot is actually at a slight upward angle to align the extractor with the middle of the case head. Notice that if the extractor were horizontal across the bolt face, it would touch near the bottom of the case rim - making it much easier to slip off.

The lower corner of the extractor hook looks a little rounded off to me. It should be sharp. This could be causing the case to slip out. I usually recommending upgrading the extractor on all 10/22s - it's an inexpensive part and the aftermarket ones (Kidd and Volquartsen) are both made sharper and from a harder grade of steel than the Ruger OEM part.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,806 Posts
It's very difficult to see an extractor problem in a picture or even in person. The best test is to pull your bolt out, insert the rim of a live round in the bolt's "pocket" ... under the extractor .... then while holding the cartridge, position the bolt vertically with the cartridge pointing up. The extractor should hold the case rim tight enough where it will support the weight of the bolt. If it doesn't support the bolt weight, it's time for a new extractor. BTW, sometimes this test works but the gun will still stovepipe .... simple solutiom ... get a new extractor but rather than buying a Ruger part, get a Volquartsen or Power Custom extractor ... the best 12 bucks you will ever spend on a 10/22.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I hope this is acceptable, but this is a jpg image of one paragraph from
IOWEGAN's IBOK for the 10/22. Specifically the extractor.

IOWEGAN has FAR more knowledge on this than anyone else I've come across.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,806 Posts
Pat, Thanks ... just a side note. The Ruger Mark Series pistols use exactly the same extractor as a 10/22 and have exactly the same issues. When you experience stovepipes, about 99% of the time a new VQ or PC extractor will fix the problem. There are two different Ruger extractor part numbers ... one is a blued steel part, the other is stainless. I much prefer the aftermarket extractors to the Ruger factory extractors. Never tried a Kidd but I've had excellent luck with Volquartsen and Power Custom extractors. In most cases, these improved extractors will turn a 10/22 or a MK series pistol into a garbage eater where they will cycle just about any 22 LR ammo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many Thanks Guys! The lower point on my extractor is indeed rounded off somewhat but I wasn't sure if it should be given the angle of the extractor in relation to the ammo brass. By all accounts it should not so this is at least a contributor to my stove pipe issues. I'll be ordering a new extractor today.

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure if you've ordered a new extractor but Midway.com is having a sale on their Volquartsen extractor for $7.46. Just received mine, hoping to try it out soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, ordered a Volquartsen bolt kit with extractor, spring, and firing pin. Also, ordered the polymer recoil buffer pin, hammer spring, bolt handle, ejector, and a couple other things. I'll be using this rifle for a week long Appleseed event and wanted some some extra parts for anything the might break during the 2000 or so rounds of this event.

Dan

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just ordered 2 VQ extractors from Midway, one for my 10/22 and one for my MK 2 (they both use the same one).

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
The VQ extractor did the trick for me. No more FTEs since I switched mine out a number of years ago.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just received 2 VQ extractors. Installed one on my 10/22, easy peasy. There are YouTube videos that show just how to do it. My gun isn't too old, but I do get a stovepipe once in a while. I fully expect the VQ part to take care of it.
I will install the other one in my MK2 when I get a chance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Exact Edge extractors

Took my trusty old MK II, and 10/22 to the range today after installing new VQ Exact Edge extractors. I had had a little problem in the past with Winchester M-22 .22 LR ammo, which I had bought a pretty big bunch of (3000 rounds). I would get the occasional stovepipe, in both my 10/22 and MK II. I installed VQ extractors in both guns. Went to the range, fired at least 200 rounds between the two using M-22-not a single stovepipe, not even one. Hey, for an investment of maybe $15 for the two, I think it was money well spent. Both were easy installs, putting the MK II back together, a PITA, but if you have a MK II you already know that. I'm a happy camper. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a VQ extractor sitting in my drawer. I forgot to install it when I put the new charging handle in. I have only had the 10/22 out to shoot one time and it did seem to have a bit of a problem. I have a new stock arriving Friday so I will install it then. From everything I have heard it will be more consistent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts