Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 10/22 for about a year now and the last few times i shot it it jamed like crazy! The slide catches the shell as it's extracted

that is what it looks like

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
OK, I'll take a guess-clean the chamber real vigorously and check the ejector...trouble is, I don't remember if it's a seperate part or made onto the slide block or what-someone'll be along shortly who'll know, but I'd put my money on the dirty chamber grabbing onto the shell and reducing the force with which the slide goes rearward...welcome and come see us at new members forum so we can give you a proper howdy!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
The ejector is actually part of the trigger group, the piece of stamped metal that sits in a slot under the bolt. I would make sure that the extractor doesn't have crud built up under it or a burr on it not allowing it to fully grasp the casing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave this a good 2 hour clening and the number of fte's did go down but it's still too high. It's about every 4th shot The extracter had a litlle bit of build up (Im cleaning it as we speak) but it wasnt that bad. i can feed a shell and manualy pull the slide back and it extracts fine. Its only when i shoot that it gets stuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a bit of remington and I ditched it very quickly, I am currently using federal bulk (525 per box) and using the federal game shock

·
Banned
700 Posts
cskinner89,
Actually it's a fairly common occurance. All the above is good advice.
Remington ammo is dirty and can really clog the bolt face. Clean the boltface/extractor area well with a suitable brush to insure proper bullet seating. A modified toothbrush works well. Stay with the Fed ammo for bulk stuff. It's consistant and fairly clean. The 1022 will actually eject spent rounds without an extractor. The extractor is for removing unfired rounds.
Also remember that the(BX-1) magazine on a 1022 is part of the ejection/process. Since the BX-1 mag is a sub-contracted item now they have a tendency to be inconsistently tensioned. I re-tension ALL my mags when new to eight flats on the nut.
Here's a link or two which should help. http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html
http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/mags.html

Good luck!

SD

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks a lot, Song Dawg!!! Learnin' on my first cuppa this morning...gonna be a better day for sure.....

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Thanks a lot, Song Dawg!!! Learnin' on my first cuppa this morning...gonna be a better day for sure.....
Yeah Dog, Glad I could help brighten your day!;) Countless folks have graciously contributed to my knowledge of those great Ruger guns. The fun is passin' it on to good folks!:)
That 1022 is Americana at it's very finest!

SD

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,796 Posts
Anytime you see a spent case in the breach area, it means the extractor was not doing it's job. Contrary to popular belief, the ejector does not "pull" the case out of the chamber, it is actually blown back with the bolt. The extractors purpose is to "hold on" to the case until the case head strikes the ejector and flips it out.

The solution is simple. Either reshape your extractor like the one in the drawing, or buy a Volquartsen extractor.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Good links above and thanks again iowegan for good advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I am no longer having this issue with a diffrent clip, If i use my ruger rotery mag it jams if i use a 30rd mag it works like a dream (This is all after a extensive cleaning session)

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cskinner89

Well, I am no longer having this issue with a diffrent clip, If i use my ruger rotery mag it jams if i use a 30rd mag it works like a dream (This is all after a extensive cleaning session)
You've confirmed my point! The Ruger Mag (BX-1) is the most reliable ingenious mag available for the 1022. Re-tention it as set forth in my post and you'll be cured!

SD

SD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts