Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a lot of FTF with my 10/22, and I'm thinking it's my ammo and not really the gun but I have no way of telling.

Most of my ammo is a few years old, about 2000 rounds of it. It ranges from Winchester, Federal, Remington.........I have a variety and they all FTF. Out of a 10 round magazine, I get 2-3 FTF every time.

Is there something I should look for on the gun to see what's happening?

I need to find some fresh ammo and see how it does, but it's still harder to find around here.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Quality control of .22 ammo has really slipped the last couple of years, and there is some real crap out there. Even the names you know and trust. Try some CCI minimags if you can find some, and use them as a benchmark.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quality control of .22 ammo has really slipped the last couple of years, and there is some real crap out there. Even the names you know and trust. Try some CCI minimags if you can find some, and use them as a benchmark.
I'm going to keep an eye out for CCI minimags............or any fresh ammo if I can find any.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If this is a brand new gun, I would contact Ruger customer service. Well, even if it's not new. 3 different brands of ammo with FT fire leads me to think it is not the ammo.

Remove the bolt and check for burrs or sludge in the firing pin channel. Clean the chamber with a bore brush. That's all I can suggest.

I'm assuming you mean fail to fire, not fail to feed.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, failure to fire.

I do get the rim dent on the non fired bullets, and when I reload them and try again they normally work.

I'm going to do a total take down of the rifle and see if I can spot anything.
I've had this rifle for about 3 years or so and never really had any issues with it until lately. When I use quiet ammo it works fine, I just have to manually feed it since the rounds don't have enough power to do it. I have some sub sonic ammo that works good too, and it's newer stuff.

How old can ammo be before it starts to "not work"?

Steve

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have used ammo that was decades old and it fired fine. Hell, I've got some deer slugs that were my grandfather's and their probably over 60 years old and they fired.

I would give that bolt a thorough cleaning and try again. I have read you do not want to lube the firing pin. If the cleaning doesn't do it, I would definitely get with Ruger. They have top notch customer service.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone have any pictures of their spent cases from their 10/22 rifle?

Just to give me a comparison to what mine is doing.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
The following are my opinions, not statement of fact(s) - your mileage will and may vary:

I wouldn't worry about the age of the ammunition - IF - it has been stored in a non-damp environment. I've had 22 ammo in my basement and in my garage for several years and had no problem. Had some left over in a cabin that would get damp in the summer - yep - it had a problem(s).

If it's a rifle you've had without problems, then I'd take a good look at the chamber for being dirty or having a ring of carbon / bullet lube build up. This may cause problems in the 10/22.

I'd also suggest taking a good look at the bolt to see if there isn't any carbon / gunk build up there. Same thing with the receiver.

Start there - and if all else fails - a call to Ruger CS is recommended. I've sent 2 of their products back to them and both were returned without any charge other than my shipping cost.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just took it all apart tonight and gave it a good clean up, it was a little dirty but nothing too bad. Took the firing pin out of the bolt assembly and cleaned that up as well. Put it all back together with no oil at all, see how it does next time I get out.

I'm going to try to find fresher ammo, but from what others have said it shouldn't be the ammo I have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife and I bought 800 rounds of CCI at LL Bean yesterday. They had plenty. When the pile got small they freshened it up. 400 solid tip and 400 hollow. 2-100 round boxes per person but if you buy different type heads you get 4 boxes.
Bruce

·
Registered
541 Posts
GONRA sez SonOfMartin's "left in a cabin over the summer" ammo almost certainly got Pretty Hot!!!
Heat Degradation is BAD for the tetracene / tetrazine component of the usual Sinoxid Patent varient "today's primer mixes".

Only God knows what happens with all the new "lead free" primer mixes.
Its best to shoot up "lead free" ammo and not save it for SHIF stocks.

SHIF stocks should be stored carefully of couse, but those Sinoxid varient primers will last more or less "forever".

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Westbrook. Things got crazy yesterday and expected to be as such a while but when things settle, down some, I'd be happy to give it a check over.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I work in Westbrook.

I'm getting some fresh ammo to try out this weekend, that will be the test since the gun is clean and everything looks good inside.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good luck. Loking forward to hearing how it goes. Have fun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts