Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a conversation with a coworker about 10/22 when the subject of cleaning and lube came up. I use CLP on everything I own and Barricade with a shaving brush on the external surfaces. It's worked for me for years without any problem.

My friend says he uses Frog Lube on his 10/22 and AR.

So, what does the 10/22 forum have to say about the best 10/22 lube/oil product to use to minimize fouling gunk and keeping the 10/22 running like a well oiled sewing machine?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rem Oil has never let me down.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I doubt there is any one single best product for all applications - I started out using Hoppes and Rem Oil - tried Frog Lube on my pistols and after about a year of no issues I switched the long guns to it as well - and a year later still no issue. While I would recommend it that doesn't necessarily think it is far and away better than the next best product - except perhaps in the aroma department - I do like getting done cleaning everything and not smelling like I just rebuilt a tubromatic 400 transmission.

If you use any product properly it should work well. That said, it does seem that some products, such as Frog Lube, are easy to use improperly, with the result often being to blame to product. This is especially true in the cases where someone decides they shouldn't have to change the way they use a new product based on their years of experience with a previous product.

For me cleaning and lubing servers several purposes - getting all the gunk out - inspecting for any potential issues - protecting while in storage - and aiding in proper operation during the next live fire. If the product you are using does all that to your satisfaction on your budget then keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have used Break Free (the original formula), Weapons Shield, Ballistol, and Frog Lube. The all work pretty good. Been using Frog Lube for the last couple of years. I have tried switching back to Weapons Shield or Ballistol, but I always end up going back to Frog Lube paste. Just don't over do it. I only use the liquid for the bore.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Remoil and Birchwood Casey synthetic w/PTFE on my 10/22. I use it sparingly though, too much oil in a .22 semi auto can be a bad thing, it can quickly attract all sorts of fouling and buildup and may cause jams and misfires. So I always go easy on whichever lube I'm using.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts