Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to like a lot of magazines. Here are most of mine. The bottom two rows are Black Dog mags and are almost as good as the BX-25's but at a fraction of the cost. I think everyone can tell what the others are. I have a few more Bulter Creek ones that aren't in the picture and one more BX-25.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Impressive. So I am guessing you recommend the BX-25?
I think the BX-25's are the very best but cost about $25 each. The Black Dog mags are almost as good and when I bought 20 of them I got them for about $10 each. I bought them before the Ruger ones came out.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Not one for hi-caps myself. Had a couple and gave 'em away. Got a ton of the standard factory 10 round ones somewhere in a box. They all replaced by these:

Each build using the laminates, or any stock other than a traditional walnut, get a pair color-matched to it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
There are several options available. Here is a Midway link to a Butler Creek loader:

Butler Creek Mag Loader 10/22 Hot Lips Steel Lips Mags

It is also available from other vendors. There are also other loader models available from other manufacturers, should be easy to find via Google search.

Good luck.

How dare you suggest using Google? Don't you know it's we're expected to do the searching and homework rather than sugest where it can be found? :D
Originally Posted by Lumpy
I guess I was hoping this forum would be a good source of helpful information about the rifle it's dedicated to, rather than a "don't post, that topic is too old" or "go look elsewhere for the info you seek".
Ahhh, stev32k seems good...here ya go:

Ruger 10/22 Magazines and Clips

BOX LOADER FOR RUGER 10/22 HIGH CAPACITY MAGS by: Christie & Christie

Ruger 10/22 Hot Lips Loader

No experience with any of these and not suggesting any particular vendor either.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
After the solution is mixed, dip a bit of white napkin in the water to get an idea of the tint. What the color shows on the package isn't a 100% guarantee of what the clear magazines will become. Example: denim blue will make purple magazines. Some cases you'll need to go a shade lighter than what you want. Word of caution that is good to repeat...the dyed water WILL stain and IS permanent. Do this in an are that won't cause issues if there's spills, splashes or drips.
Also be sure the reassembly is done correctly or there'll be feeding/reliability issues.

I use a paint can (new, unused from Home Depot). After each use, you'll need to boil the can clean or your next run will be off. Also gotta be sure all the oil is cleaned from the magazine parts. Be doing some more sometime over the winter (friend wants some pink ones for his wife) and gonna try something different since there's some extras laying around. If it works, great. If it doesn't...duracoat. :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the solution is mixed, dip a bit of white napkin in the water to get an idea of the tint. What the color shows on the package isn't a 100% guarantee of what the clear magazines will become. Example: denim blue will make purple magazines. Some cases you'll need to go a shade lighter than what you want. Word of caution that is good to repeat...the dyed water WILL stain and IS permanent. Do this in an are that won't cause issues if there's spills, splashes or drips.
Also be sure the reassembly is done correctly or there'll be feeding/reliability issues.

I use a paint can (new, unused from Home Depot). After each use, you'll need to boil the can clean or your next run will be off. Also gotta be sure all the oil is cleaned from the magazine parts. Be doing some more sometime over the winter (friend wants some pink ones for his wife) and gonna try something different since there's some extras laying around. If it works, great. If it doesn't...duracoat. :D
I think it would be cool if we could figure out a way to put a fishing fly in one.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Hadn't thought of inserts but hmm... Gives me an idea I might have to try out on the spare black mags these colored ones replaced. Got a box full of 'em. Hmmm... Wheels are turnin' Gears are grindin'. :)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
How dare you suggest using Google? Don't you know it's we're expected to do the searching and homework rather than sugest where it can be found? :D

Ahhh, stev32k seems good...here ya go:

Ruger 10/22 Magazines and Clips

BOX LOADER FOR RUGER 10/22 HIGH CAPACITY MAGS by: Christie & Christie

Ruger 10/22 Hot Lips Loader

No experience with any of these and not suggesting any particular vendor either.
Hey thanks for taking the time to prepare a full report on magazine loaders. I apologize that I was heading off to church and only had the time to give one example and another viable option. :D

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Dang Guy, is Armageddon around the corner and I missed the memo? I guess that's why I stuck with revolvers. Just get a couple of speed loaders and buckets full of ammo. All set to go with that set up. Smithy.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dang Guy, is Armageddon around the corner and I missed the memo? I guess that's why I stuck with revolvers. Just get a couple of speed loaders and buckets full of ammo. All set to go with that set up. Smithy.
They were cheap if I bought 20. Got them wholesale.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the great info on the hi-cap Mags! Have 4 x BX-25s on their way. It will be soo much better than using the single 10 shot mag that came with my TD. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts