Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a .22 rifle and really like Ruger's but the M&P 15-22 is really sweet. Any reasons why I should not get the 15-22?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I've handled both the 15-22 and the SR22 Rifle from Ruger and I find the SR22 to be the better rifle. It's essentially built around the time-tested 10/22 with much better hardware than you'll get from an Archangel build or the 15-22. In my opinion, the 15-22 felt a little cheap and plasticky. It's lighter weight, but I wasn't a fan.

The Ruger feels really solid and just looks very well made.

If it were me, I'd buy a Ruger SR22 Rifle if you want to go the "AR Look-Alike 22" route.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am not sure of the features and problems & also fixes for any problems with the M&P 15-22 or the Benefits.

I would expect that the S&W is a good gun, the Marlin 795 is also a good gun.

But i like a 25 round mags, like the 10/22 has, the Marlin only has 10 round mags

A forum like this will keep your rifle shooting straight for a long time.

By looking at the M&P 15-22, i have held one at the LGS, but i admit my knowledge is based around the Ruger since thats what I have.

I have two 10/22's, the thing i like about them is the after market is VAST,

if a year down the road you want something a little different can you change you S&W M&P 15-22 into something different then change it back easily?

I have two stocks for each of my 10/22's and they can become different rifles very quickly and easily.

Both my 10/22's have peep Iron sights with a 24" sight radius, and a scope rail on top of the receiver.

2-1/2# trigger pull, great trigger.

Barrel Stainless or Blued steel or alum. Barrel w/steel liner, or Carbine fiber barrel

Synthetic or wood stock or both

Adjustable LOP stock 9.75" to 13.5" 6 position, like on the M&P 15-22

They are both around 4-1/2 lbs each

You could have 5 different stocks, and have 5 different personalities, 1. Tactical, 2. Hunting, 3. Back pack/Hiking, 4. scoped longer range Target thumb hole stock 5. a gun that breaks down into a bug-out gun that stores in a compact back pack.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have both. You can see pics of them here: http://rugerforum.net/optics/61410-two-scope-choices-could-use-some-input.html.

Both are great guns but the 10/22 is more accurate, at least in my hands and with my 65 year old eyes. But it's hard to beat the fun factor of the 15-22. As for issues with the 15-22, I have over 5,000 rounds through mine and I've had no issues whatsoever.

As far as I'm concerned, each rifle serves its purpose and both are definitely keepers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Honestly if you want an AR type just get the M&P15-22, the SR22 has AR ergonomics but nothing more. The mag release, and charging handle are completely different. At least with the M&P15 you can get some practice and muscle memory incase you end up getting the real deal.

If you want a fun and more accurate rifle the 1022 is what you should go for.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Love my 10/22! Aftermarket parts to no end! Comfortable and accurate out of the box. MORE awesome with upgrades!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Honestly if you want an AR type just get the M&P15-22, the SR22 has AR ergonomics but nothing more. The mag release, and charging handle are completely different. At least with the M&P15 you can get some practice and muscle memory incase you end up getting the real deal.

If you want a fun and more accurate rifle the 1022 is what you should go for.
really the only thing "AR" about the SR-22 is the stock to reciver rail height. THe barrel is too low.

I bought one thinking I could use stock AR sights, and If I used forend rail mounted sights I could, but couldn't get any accuracy due to the flimsy way the forend is mounted... The barrel is the correct AR diameter so I bought a railed gas block thinking I could mount gas block height sights, and thats when I discovered the barrel is too low... That combined with the wife and daughter complaining it was too heavy, I decided to sell it. Haven't missed it yet. I bought a blackhawk axiom adjustable stock, and now my other 10/22 is just as useful as the SR-22 was, but 3 lbs lighter....

Looking back, if I had it to do over, I would buy the S&W 15-22....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I plan on getting a M&P15-22 I turned my Ruger into a G36 Clone because well... The real deal is like $3000 if you convert an SL8. I'll be getting a 1022 TD for a classic ruger. :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great input. I think that I am going with the M&P 15-22. I like the looks and style and will probably add a Bump stock to it. I have several Ruger guns and several S&W guns. My favorite handgun is my Sig Saurer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have both and enjoy both. For hunting, I would go with the 10/22. The S&W 15-22 gives you the look and feel of an AR rifle and is a lot of fun to shoot, but so is my 10/22 Takedown. Hey, just get one of each!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I own both. IMO, they're both great .22lr rifles but for different purposes.

The 10/22 is my long range plinker. A drop in Power Custom hammer & sear topped off with an inexpensive .22lr plinking scope, and I'm set for fun.

I can take out Hello Kitty at distance all day long. :D

The M&P 15-22 is my close/medium range plinking gun. The controls & ergos mimic my AR15. It's the perfect AR15 training companion.

IMO, which one to buy first depends on what type of shooting you want to do. Yes, I said "which one to buy first" because I think you'll end up eventually owning both. :D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have the M&P 15-22 Magpul version and I really like it. I have a scope on it but it quickly comes off to allow use of the excellent Magpul sights when I feel like shooting irons. I have had no trouble with it. I did install the spring kit (cheap and easy) in the trigger group and polished the sear as it was a bit gritty at first.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I must admit after doing a little research that I dismissed the M&P a little too quickly. I didn't realize that it was compatible with AR stocks and accessories. This is a HUGE plus for the M&P if you want that platform.

Now... I will stick with my original thoughts that I didn't like the feel of the M&P as it came in a little light for my taste. And if I were to get a 10/22 for the purpose of making it tactical, I would just buy the SR22 Rifle outright rather than adding an Archangel or other "AR-style" stock to a basic 10/22. The SR22 Rifle is very solidly built around the 10/22 platform for a reliable, well-made firearm. It's compatible with lots of 10/22 accessories (triggers, bolt handles, magazines, etc.). But then again, the M&P is compatible with the plethora of AR stuff out there that can be had from $5-500 on the aftermarket.

You'll be pleased with either, I'm sure. Let us know what you get and post some photos. We love pictures of guns! :D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have the M&P 15-22 Magpul version and I really like it. I have a scope on it but it quickly comes off to allow use of the excellent Magpul sights when I feel like shooting irons. I have had no trouble with it. I did install the spring kit (cheap and easy) in the trigger group and polished the sear as it was a bit gritty at first.
I should have mentioned in my previous post that I do have an AR15 - a Stag Arms Model 1, so the 15-22 is excellent for training and practice. The 15-22 is a light weight for sure.

Here is a picture of mine:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts