Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a heck of a time finding a 10/22 Carbine for a new target project. Demand for 10/22s in the Mid-Atlantic region has emptied all distributor supply. Finally found one at Cabelas in Dundee Mi. Picked it up on a road trip a few weeks ago. Took me 2 hours to get out of the store with all the Christmas and New-Ban buyers.

Out of the box trigger pull came in at 6.21 lbs. Being somewhat creative (and looking to save a buck), I measure trigger pull with a single use shopping bag and string tied to the trigger. Then I load the bag with quarters until I find a repeatable trigger break. There is not much friction in the string-to-stock contact area so I ignore it. 1 quarter weighs 5.67 grams. Multiply the number of quarters by 5.67 grams and convert grams to pounds on a website converter. I add the weight of 4.5 quarters to the total weight to account for the bag and string weight. Coins have to weigh precise amounts to function in vending machines, so they are quite nice to use as standard weights. I double check my calculated weight at a near-by grocery with a digital scale. Guess I ought to just by a trigger pull scale Eh? Too much fun!

Plans as follows:
Clark Customs Sporter laminated stock
A&B Barrel (we'll see... GM out of stock)
VQ hammer and bolt release kit and V-block
Soft bolt buffer
Weaver base and quad rings
Simmons 22 Mag 3X9 32 AO scope

Can't wait to get all of the parts and begin work on the frankenrilfle!

Fly-right!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
• Stock: check Revolution and Boyd's as both offer same style I believe.
• Barrel: A&B is Green Mt with their own rollmark. Check ShootersDiscount.
• Hammer, etc: save some $ and rework your existing bolt release (2-3minutes). Factory v-block is fine. New one is more hype than anything else.
• Factory base is fine. Just be sure to not overtighten the steel screws in the aluminum receiver.
• With the money saved from the bolt release, v-block and mount, go with a better optic. Simmons seems to have gone down considerably. Mueller is about minimum for anything here now that gets upgrades.

Just my 2¢ based on my own experiences building these up. Have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just got the Simmons 22 mag on amazon for $38. So far I like the scope but the rings they include are junk and come loose easily. I need to order a weaver rail and rings.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
If it works for you that's what metters. Used to like Simmons as a budget scope but last two got used once and replaced. Just had horrible clarity even for the price. Not one to spend $$$ on one part or two then skimp on the rest.
Guessing the rings currently are the tip-off style. Best to go Weaver for a better hold.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
DP777.

I have gone the opposite direction with my 1151 Black Synthetic Carbine. It is going to be my ultimate survival rifle so I am leaving it stock internally. I have ordered the following from Ruger, one set to store on the weapon and one set to store in my bug out bag:

2 each: bolt stop pin; ejector; firing pin; firing pin stop; firing pin rebound spring; extractor; extractor spring; extractor plunger; receiver filler screws (4).

I am going to order a set of optic sights that are on the model 1168 Compact to put on my 18.5 inch barrel, and the barrel, flash hider, and washer from the model 1261 Tactical. This because I may want to get a suppressor in the future.

I have also purchased the following:

BSA 6-18X40 Sweet 22 Scope
Karsten A Model Adjustable Cheek Rest
Trapdoor butt plate from an M16 rifle
UTG .22 Tactical Low Profile Rail Mount
UTG Max Strength Quick Detach Low Mount Rings
Sling Swivel Set
ProMag metal Tactical Barrel Band

It is good that we can all build what we want, isn't it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts