Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Rugerforum,
I purchased my first 10/22 a couple weeks ago. I didn't have the opportunity to shoot extensively until a week after. I found, however, that the rear sight is not installed properly. The right side of the sight is bolted slightly ahead of the left, creating a slight slant.

Though my sight picture is good, the rifle still pulls right. I don't chalk it up to trigger manipulation either as the groups remain very tight at various ranges.

My question is, how does Ruger's warranty work? Has anyone heard of such an issue before? Is shipping the gun to Ruger the only option?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If it were me I would just get a MUCH better aftermarket sight...

There are lots to choose from...

Here is a cheap and easy one to install and works very well IMO...

Search results for: Williams sights 10/22

There are lots of options from Williams and other brands/styles but I am specifically referring to this one...

Search results for: Williams sights 10/22

My personal opinion is the factory leaf sucks on all counts...I would not waste my time with it...others may disagree...just giving you my opinion... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being new to the gun, I wanted to develop a high level of comfort with the rifle in stock trim so before beginning modifications.

Thanks for your reply and your input. The products you've linked definitely seem like a better option. It just bothers me that a product is not perfect from the factory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the entire sight drifted to the right in its dovetail, or are you simply refering to the leaf "slider" that governs elevation? The slider can be adjusted using a jeweler's screwdriver, but to move the entire sight you need to use a brass drift punch, hammer, padded vise, and some care and patience.

I know some folks like to badmouth the factory Ruger sight, but it's still a world above the cheap garbage that sits on a lot of other .22 rifles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the entire sight drifted to the right in its dovetail, or are you simply refering to the leaf "slider" that governs elevation? The slider can be adjusted using a jeweler's screwdriver, but to move the entire sight you need to use a brass drift punch, hammer, padded vise, and some care and patience.

I know some folks like to badmouth the factory Ruger sight, but it's still a world above the cheap garbage that sits on a lot of other .22 rifles.
It's not the vertical adjustments. Basically, the holes drilled to mount the rear sight are staggered. Though it's minimal, it's enough to consistently throw the shot off.

I've yet to experience the stock sights on other .22s. Shame though, as I feel that I would love the stock set up if it were straight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds to me like a warranty issue then. Ruger should replace the sight with one that isn't messed up.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It is possible that you may mount a scope on the 10/22 some time in the future. Consider the Williams Ace in the Hole mount. It is a combo peep sight with a rail scope base. This is more accurate because it is a peep sight and gives a better and quicker sight picture with a longer sight radius. It also allows you to have an available backup sight system if you damage the scope or if the scope fails. Just remove the scope and you are ready to go. The peep sight will work very good until (or if) you decide to get a scope.

Williams Ace The Hole Sight Set Picatinny Base Ruger 10/22 Steel Blue

70974-10_22-Ace-In-The-Hole-Set-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/58642-ruger-ace-hole-set.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts