Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a recommended replacement interval on 10/22 recoil springs like there is for a 1911? I don't think I am close to needing a change at around 1000 rounds but was curious if there is a recommended round count or just shoot til it has problems.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,180 Posts
Somewhere around 50,000 rounds …. maybe more. When the bolt fails to go to full battery when clean, it's time to check the recoil spring.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have never heard of one actually wearing out. I checked the manual and it does not mention changing the spring. As far as I can tell people change them because they come with new charging handles occasionaly or the ammo they use needs a stiffer spring due to high velocity loads maybe? MiniMags ect. It might take me several years to reach 50,000 rounds, I do hope to find out though.:)

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,678 Posts
The OP has just gotten his 10/22 smoothed out and broken in at 1000 rounds. I've been shooting mine since 1987 with the factory spring. I would guess it's got over 20,000 down the pipe. It is still working well. Enjoy shooting your rifle!

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
I don't think the 10/22 has any of the "worries" which Kimber owners have, who are advised to change their springs every 2000 rounds. My BIL has a Kimber, and he actually counts the rounds. Ain't a rifle, but still....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Somewhere around 50,000 rounds …. maybe more. When the bolt fails to go to full battery when clean, it's time to check the recoil spring.
that's what happened with mine...I replaced the spring..."runs like a top" now.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I waited 20 years to replace mine.......I dont think you need to worry until then!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is 40 years old and I have no idea, how many rounds have been ran through it. It still functions as if it has only been broken in. I figure that if the day comes that it will cycle sub sonics and quiets reliably I'll replace it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine is a 1995 model, never had a problem, & still looks like new. I think unless you are a high volume shooter, not a lot to worry about if you keep it clean & lubed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts