Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a ruger 10/22 rifle today at Dicks Sporting goods. I liked the rifle but the clerk says he would never buy a semi-auto rifle again because the springs wear out and they cost so much to replace you might as well buy a new rifle rather than pay a gunsmith to replace the spring! This would be my first .22 rifle. Is this guy correct? He said I should go with a bolt action or lever action. Those of you with .22 rifle experience please chime in. What is a good .22 rifle? Should I avoid semi-autos(I am only going to target shoot at the local gun range)? Is bolt action better than lever action for target plinking? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,477 Posts
Some of these "gun counter Bozos" need to take a course in customer relations, like ...."If you don't know what you are talking about, keep your pie hole shut!" Springs are cheap, very easy to replace, and hardly ever wear out or break.

Ruger has made tons of 10/22s since 1964. Besides being the top selling gun in the whole world, there are more after market custom parts made for the 10/22 than any other rifle in history.

Do yourself a favor ... buy a new 10/22 but don't give that Bozo at Dick's the sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback. I king of thought from my ruger mark II pistol that a spring job would be no big deal, but I wasn't sure. So when the clerk said that I though I better double check with people that actually own and shoot the rifle. I really wanted a semi-auto so I think thats what I'll buy. Thanks again.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Take the advice of the knowledgeable previous posters. You'll never regret buying a 1022.
Some of mine go back to 1966 and have fired countless rounds. Though I've spent some "modifying money"[:0] on them I've never had to replace a spring.
They are simply the best shooting bargain out there whether modified or plain Jane.

SD

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just put a scope on my 10/22

Auto's are always fun and the 10/22 is one of the best out there..
You can mod them in all sorts of ways...
Saw one at a gun store that had a folding stock and a RED DOT scope and a 50 round mag..this thing was so cool...
All most had the look of a AR15....[8D]

I like bolt action too..they work great for teaching kids(Grandkids too[:eek:)])
But a auto is always fun....

+1 on the gun shop guy being not too smart...Geeezzzz[V]

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Don't know what part of the country you are in, but it would do you good if you knew someone with a 10-22 to try out. They are fun and reliable. My second Ruger was a 10-22. Bolt action guns may be slightly more accurate, but the 10-22 does me just fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The clerk is an idiot. First, that's not a true statement about the spring, and second, it sounded like he was more interested in wanting to sell you a rifle that cost more and probably had a higher mark-up which may have been more money for him.

"Pay a gunsmith to replace the spring" ?? It may take all of 5 minutes to replace the spring and you only need a screwdriver to remove the action from the stock. Nope, the salesguy is definitely an idiot.

When you do go to buy a 10/22 I would suggest that you go somewhere else. But becareful with the 10/22, they are so much fun that you can't have just one. With all the mods that you can do to them, they are a hobby just by themselves.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 10/22 has five springs, you can buy all of them for about ten bucks. The only one that's a pita is the safety detent.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 10/22 is from 1975 and has never had the trigger group disassembled. The only spring I have ever had out of the gun is the bolt spring and it is still the original. Probably 10000 shots through the gun. Find another place to buy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
spring problems, not really

:)I've got two 10/22s and couldn't even begin to tell you how many rounds have gone down the tube. Never had any problems with the stock springs,even the stock extractor claw has never failed to throw a round clear of the gate. Best thing to do is just what you did, log in and ask questions. There is a lot of great info. here from people "in the know". If you ever need to replace any of your springs I've had very good luck with "Wolff" springs in everything from my SP-101 in .357 mag. to my AR-15. They are inexpensive and very easy to install.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
new shooter said:
What is a good .22 rifle?
I have two favorites. The first one I have two of, one of which is over thirty years old, and I've not needed to change springs. The second one I only have one of but have had zero problems with (it also shoots VERY well). :D

I'll bet you would be happy with either (unless you wanted both). :eek: :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts