Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok working on a bullpup with a suppressor that with be a sbr. 10"-11.5" barrel I am aware that a 1:9 twist is best for suppressor ammo. Question is do you thing it would also be ok to shoot bulk pack ammo out of it with the suppressor on. I found 10.5" barrels but the all seem to be 1:16 twist. Which I imagine will just cause key holing. So was going to buy a 1:9 twist and have it cut down to 11.5". Do you think that will provide me that happy medium were I can shoot both types of ammo in a supressor with out baffle strikes.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
First off... WELCOME. Ruger factory barrels for the 10/22, Charger and 22/45 pistol are 1:16 RH twist. I have all three, and shoot all three suppressed with CCI Standard Velocity, and Winchester subsonic ammo. I see no keyhole, and no baffle strikes. Bulk ammo can be shot with no concern except it will be a little louder than standard, and subsonic, as most bulk ammo is high velocity. Use a 1:16 twist barrel with no worries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks even cut down to 11.5" my concern is just not getting that full spin. Trust me I rather just take my factory barrel and have it cut crowned and threaded. That is only $50 verses $150 on up. And you pretty much shoot a wide variety of ammo with that.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You could find a Charger take off barrel that is threaded. The new Charger barrels are factory threaded 10".I have an older Charger so I had mine threaded. I also had a 10/22 barrel threaded. Both barrel are extremely accurate. I wouldnt worry about finding a 1:9 twist barrel.

Johnjagz28 said:
even cut down to 11.5" my concern is just not getting that full spin.
? Why do you need a barrel long enough for the bullet to make a complete revolution, before exiting the muzzle? Is that what you are worrying about? That has nothing to do with accuracy, or stability...

Higher twist rate barrels(1:9) are designed for heavier bullets. The 60 grain 22 rounds are suited for that twist. Most 22 ammo is around 40 gr and the 1:16 twist is better there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes exactly to my understanding if it does not get a full spin. You can in turn get a baffle strike on the suppressor. I have a bunch of 36g and 40g (no not for sale hahaha). And would most likely buy 40g subsonic. Have you ever shot 60g out of your 1:16 twist. And are your results favorable. I think this bullpup is going to break the bank. There just a certain look I am going for with it and that requires a 11.5" barrel. Just want to do it right and once. Apprectaite the help and feedback.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yes exactly to my understanding if it does not get a full spin. You can in turn get a baffle strike on the suppressor.
That is incorrect. People have been shooting suppressed pistols for many years and have never encountered a baffle strike because the bullet didn't make a complete revolution before exiting the muzzle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in other words. Just cut the factory barrel to 11.5". And just stick to 36 and 40 grain ammo. And don't worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts