Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my old age it's getting harder to see the sight so I decided to mount a scope on it. I used the stock base and picked up a set of Weaver Quad-Lock rings. I mounted the base ok but when I went to install the rings they didn't fit. I slide them on the base and tightened them down. Even with them tightened all the way they still have a lot of play.

Did I misunderstand what type of base I had? Would it be best to buy another base?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I picked a set for my TD, $`10,00 redfield and put it on using the base that came with the gun. They now come with both narrow and wide grooves.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Without knowing exactly what style base you have, it's hard to say. weaver base = weaver rings. tip-off rimfire base = tip-off rimfire rings

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
That is a Weaver style/tip-off combo so the Weaver style rings you purchased should work. Make sure you're aligning the cross screw in the slot properly and tighten. How much play is there without being tightened? Pics of the fitment?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a set of the Weaver Quad Locks that would not tighten up on a Weaver base. Could not see why so they went back.Next set no problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a Weaver style/tip-off combo so the Weaver style rings you purchased should work. Make sure you're aligning the cross screw in the slot properly and tighten. How much play is there without being tightened? Pics of the fitment?
There's quite a bit actually. I guess I can wiggle it about 1/16th of an inch at the top of the rings. I not sure how good of a pic I can get but I can try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a set of the Weaver Quad Locks that would not tighten up on a Weaver base. Could not see why so they went back.Next set no problems.
I'm going to try and get over to a friends house here locally. He has a couple of rifles with either a weaver mount or Picatinny rails so I can try my rings on them to see whether they will tighten up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
ruger rail should handle both

both weaver and dovetail rings should work. be sure to apply blue loctite to all rail mounting screws--i didnt at first and rail loosened up after about 50 shots.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ruger advises against using loctite as the mounting holes go completely thru to the action. Most important thing is to use the right screwdriver or get hex head screws where you can really Heric down on them.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Lots of information in this thread...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/60713-scope-rings-10-22-a.html?

This is a great rail imo...under $10...Weaver quad lock rings work perfectly with it...you can't go wrong...

Weaver 1-Piece Multi Slot Tactical Weaver-Style Base Ruger 10/22 Matte

I always use blue loctite on my rail screws...otherwise they come loose...simply remove the bolt as if you were cleaning the gun and make sure the screws don't protrude thru the holes and no loctite dripped down thru the hole...I have not seen it happen and changed rails on mine too many times to count...

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK I just bought a new 10 22 and it came with a base. The damn thing is just a bit to narrow. I bought full size 7/8 Weaver brand rings (New) at wallyworld. They are just shy of tightening up and wiggle quite a bit just like the problem stepbyrd has. Of course the 3/8, 22/pellet ones work but I prefer to only use full size if at all possible. I have an after market 1 piece base on my old 10 22 and the Weaver rings fit fine on that. What was Ruger thinking. Did just a few have this problem or did they all? Why would they even think of doing this on purpose? I have had and still have a number of Ruger products and this is only the second issue I can remember having with the company. I will contact them and find out what is going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well... "me too". I received my Burris Weaver-style, medium "Zee" rings last night and... they wobble. Thre is no way I can tighten enough to hold securely. Has Ruger screwed up? Did they intentionally put a rail that is too narrow? What to do at this point?

It would be interesting to know the specs of the Weaver mount so I can measure with the caliper. What a waste of time...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think that

the stock ruger rail is proprietery. Try WWW.pyramidair.com and find a the Ruger 10/22 rail and all rings should work that are for a picatinney rail. $10 + shipping? Solves the fit problem with 10/22 rail and rings.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Me too!...I fixed it with a set of tip off rings from walmart...works like a charm... The smaller part of the rail is a 22 tip off rail.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I installed a scope on my 10/22, I used a weaver top mount base TO-9
# 4820-1 one piece tip off base used for ruger 10/22
top rings weaver tip off black # 49819 use with 1" scope up to 36mm ojb lens
use a small amount of Loctite blue 242 on each base screw do not over tighten
turn gun up side down for at least 6 hours so the Loctite wont dip down in the action, this worked great for me, I got the base & rings from optic planet

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought an aftermarket Leopold 10/22 1 piece silver base on Ebay for $8.12 shipped. I know that will work. You can still use the Ruger factory base with 3/8 dovetails but I hate to do that. I did contact Ruger and am still waiting for an answer. I'll keep ya'll posted.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts