Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that the 10/.22 receiver is aluminum. I wish to mount a picatinny-type rail on mine, built circa 1990 and want to avoid over-torquing the screws. Can someone give me an idea of what torque I can use to provide adequate holding but avoid over-torquing?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
10 to 15 IP.

Reactions: RHazmat

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that the 10/.22 receiver is aluminum. I wish to mount a picatinny-type rail on mine, built circa 1990 and want to avoid over-torquing the screws. Can someone give me an idea of what torque I can use to provide adequate holding but avoid over-torquing?
Also make sure to use some loctite on the threads.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Also make sure to use some loctite on the threads.
...................And remove any oil/lube from receiver threads and screw threads prior to Loctiting.

Reactions: RHazmat

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,306 Posts
Just a few tips for mounting a scope base on a 10/22. I always take the gun apart to include removing the bolt. This way you can see if the screws are the right length and if you use thread lock, you can wipe off the excess before reassembling the gun. Use a Q-tip with alcohol to clean any oil residue from the screw hole threads .... otherwise thread lock won't hold. You want the three rear screws to end up flush with the underside of the receiver. The front screw hole is deeper so unless you have really long screws, it won't be a problem. If screws protrude too far, they will collide with the bolt and if they are too short, there won't be enough thread purchase to torque the screws properly. If screws need to be deeper, just drill the head sized hole in the base a little deeper. If screws are too long, you can use "head sized" washers or you can grind a little off the tip of the screw. Make sure the screw threads are free of grinding burrs.

The aluminum receiver will start stripping threads when torque exceeds 30 inch pounds. Always apply a small dot of thread lock to the screw .... never to the hole then torque the screw before the thread lock dries. Mount the front screw first and make sure it holds the base nice and tight. Test each screw for depth then remove it, apply a dot of thread lock, then torque it in before the thread lock dries. The four screws can be torqued to 15 inch pounds.

If you remove and replace scope bases, each time you torque the mounting screws, you will stretch the threaded hole a little so over torquing will eventually result in a failure to hold the mount secure. This can be avoided by never applying more than 15 inch pounds of torque.

Reactions: rickf and RHazmat
1 - 6 of 6 Posts