Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all!..

...am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my stock ruger 10 22 carbine with synthetic stock in about a week and am already thinking of what i should do to improve it's performance--if i really need to..

this will be my first 10 22 and although i've heard and read a lot about it i have never actually owned one..yet.

please note that i am located in the philippines and we do not have access to all the after-market options available for this gun and the ones available here normally cost 2-3X the original price in the US---only authorized gunstores can import these items subject to a lot of taxes,duties, etc.....

i therefore do not want to go overboard on the upgrades and hope to get some suggestions on those which would really make a performance difference and not only aesthetically..

the rifle will be used primarily for recreational target shooting and small game hunting....i have no plans of making it look tactical or like an assault rifle..

so far i have gotten a redfield revenge 6-18x44 scope, a magpul ms2 sling and 4 extra 10-rd original magazines for it..

i am thinking of possibly getting a trigger-job done or get a better trigger later and maybe a better stock if i am not happy with the factory-supplied one..

any other suggestions along those lines--improve accuracy, reliability and handling-- would be greatly appreciated..

thank you for reading this and for any replies..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Based off what you have said so far, I would recommend the following:

Bolt Buffer
Auto-Bolt Release
Extended Mag Release
Trigger Job Kit

All of which can be obtained via KIDD for about $140...they do offer free shipping, but I think it is only within the states. Shipping on these parts wouldn't be much to ship to you though!

Amongst these I have purchased other upgrades, but these alone made a noticeable difference in my 10/22 and I am very happy with the price and the quality of these parts.

I would also recommend their Receiver Pin Kit as when you breakdown the rifle the stock pins tend to get looser and looser in my opinion.

All of this can be done by yourself, there are many YouTube videos on these mods, etc..

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a TD, but I did the bolt buffer, which can be made or purchased (youtube the how to,) and I made the auto-bolt release mod myself as well, which is easy enough, but you can order the part for much of nothing. I used a dremmel tool to mod mine in about 10-minutes total time. If you do one, go ahead and do the other since you will be in the trigger assembly anyway. I was worried about doing it myself at first but it is truly a simple task. What you want to do and what you NEED to do are all relative to the user in my opinion. Sounds like your setup so far is great. With a 10/22 you can do as much or little as you want. Personally, I think it is a fine rifle right out of the box but you can do so much more.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a few 10/22 , all the basic wood and blued / black rifles.

I have to 100% agree with these as the basics...
Bolt Buffer
Auto-Bolt Release
Extended Mag Release
Trigger Job Kit

Bolt buffer gets rid of the cheap annoying "clank" .
I have zillions of rounds through my 10/22 I bought back on the late 70's, and till just a few years ago, it ran it's stock bolt stop metal dowel. Never broke a thing... but it's nice to get rid of that "clank".

Auto-Bolt release modified lever, is just more intuitive , and makes it work more like the carbine it was modeled after, the US M1 Carbine.
It's soo annoying, to have to try and manipulate that little lever to get the bolt to release.. but I guess for a new or youn shooter, it's "Safer".
But to watch people wiggle around trying to get the bolt to release ..and flipping the rifle around till they get the muscle memory, is scary.

The old factory button mag release was terrible. What comes with the 10/22 now, the short lever isn't bad, but there are many nice slightly longer levers that are easier to use and get your finger into.

The trigger job, either a DYI kit, or if you have the monies, a full drop in trigger assembly with a metal housing.

The trigger is one of the more important elements, the OEM triggers are all over the place, but never meet one that didn't exhibit VAST improvements by either DYI kit or just dropping in an entire assembly.

Most aftermarket trigger assembles come with the auto-bolt release and extended mag release (some longer than others).
http://www.volquartsen.com/products/205-tg2000
When I can get this trigger group on sale, and have a rifle that needs one , I pick it up, but also so swap out it's mag release for one slightly longer.

The Sights are another, if your gonna stick with iron sights, the "Tech-Sights" are great.. but seems you already have your heart set on optics..

Between a scope (or great iron sights) and a trigger job, you'll wake up the potential in the factory 10/22 ,, after that it's up to the shooter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts