Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the entire 10/22 stainless, stainless steel, or is it just the barrel.

I'm trying to decide if the extra money for the stainless is worth it and if it will be moer corrosion resistant than the blued model. I plan to replace the barrel and stock anyway and I'm looking for durability.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the internals also the same? Has anyone polished the receiver? Also any pics of a blued receiver with a SS barrel?

Sorry for all the questions, new at 10/22's

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yes, the internals are the same. The "T" models have a bit better trigger but still one in need of an upgrade. Basically, the differences from one to another are the visuals - the stock, the finish(color).

·
Registered
455 Posts
The internals are the same. I don't know what finish exactly is on the receiver, but my stainless "Walmart" K10/22-22 has the silver receiver and trigger guard, but it definitely isn't stainless steel like the barrel.

I have a regular blued carbine as well. I've never seen a stainless barrel on a blued receiver unless it was an after market barrel.

As you can see, the barrel and receiver are a lot different.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There was a 10/22 at my local walmart for sale that had a blued receiver and a SS barrel. I can't remember what stock it had, I think it was wood...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is there any advantage of buying the SS if I am replacing the barrel with a SS bull barrel.

Again, I'm looking for durability and a shooter. Is the SS receiver in the picture just polished metal, or is that some sort of finish on the receiver. I would like it to match, but finding a SS right now is tough.

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah pretty sure that's what I saw. Nice looking gun. I think I would prefer the all silver model myself.

If you are replacing the barrel with an aftermarket one, there isn't a reason to buy a SS 10/22 unless you want the receiver color to be silver.

The blue and SS 10/22s are identical other than the finish on the receiver and the barrel.

I've heard the blued versions have a painted receiver, but I'm not sure if that is still true. I know at one point they painted the receivers black, but I thought Ruger stopped doing that... Not exactly sure.

I'm not sure what finish they use on the SS's receiver. I don't think it's polished, if it is, not very shiny. :) I don't believe it's anodized...but I don't really know for sure

But yeah, if you plan on replacing the barrel, no reason to get the SS. Keep in mind you will need to modify the original stock or replace it if you add a bull barrel.

Don't mean to be a kill joy, but the all weather (synthetic stock and SS barrel) 10/22s seem to sell pretty quickly. Every gun store I called in AZ (like 5 IIRC, including big places like Cabelas and Sportsmans) seemed to be out and weren't exactly sure when more were coming in. At a time like this, where there is a lot of panic buying going on, it could be a bit hard to find one. I ended up ordering mine online from budsgunshop

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have both and the SS all-weather had some very rough castings inside the receiver and around the ejection port which has a very gritty feel. I would disassemble and remedy these before firing. The blued barrel is a better production in terms of interior quality, but the whole thing has been painted. I sanded down the interiors of both receiver's. Other than that. They shoot just the same. I put the SS in the laminate stock and the blued barrel in the black synthetic stock. Both are excellent rifles, but the stocks need improving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wish the trigger housings were silver on their all-weather. They used to be but current production seems to use the black trigger housing and the black barrel band.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
If I was to go the route of refinishing, I'd probably go with powdercoating. Much more durable and you can chose your color. That I've seen done an it came out great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts