Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi , I have just purchased a walnut stock with a metal butt plate and sling swivels which look about the same age , the inside of the buttplate is stamped 0-63 and the stock end has 62 written on it , do you think this refers to 1963 . Does any one know when metal butt plates went out of use . Thanks Dave

·
Banned
700 Posts
Hi Dave and welcome!
Ruger walnuts in the barrel banded carbine R model were first SE Overton's from the inception (1964) until 1971 Ruger then began manufacturing the walnuts themselves from 1971 until they became a cost issue in 1984. First Birch, then for a short time maple and back to birch was the sequence of materials used from 1984 to the present.
The metal buttplate which is specifically aluminum was present from 1964 until the Liberty Model guns of 1976 at which time they were replaced by GE's Celcon. The C-63 is a part number. The early Celcon buttplates were installed after the stock was finished however they were inconsistent on fit. Much later Ruger installed the Celcon plate before the final standing on the stock which provided a very consistent fit.
The DSP stock with it's checkering and sling studs continues to be made of walnut today.
The real beauties were the original SE Overtons of black walnut.
It's a hobby of mine to rescue these pieces of Americana for restoration.

Here's a few of mine:

Rescued (before)

After

Hope this helps!

SD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info SD , just got mone finished today , modding and stock conversion is a hobby of mine also , I think the sling swivels I have must be original as they look the same as yours . Dave

·
Banned
700 Posts
Dave, the DSP is the one with the sling swivels/checkering. I added mine to my "R"model stock.
Someone added yours as well.

Here's another sling set up for the R(RB) carbine stock.
Inserted in the forend just below the barrel band like yours

Or Uncle Mike's barrel band swivel insert for those who don't want to drill the stock.

SD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts