Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the 10/22 takedown and shot about 500 rounds through it. Things went well, only maybe 2 stovepipes the whole time. I took it apart that day and cleaned it. The next time i went to the range, I had a stovepipe I would say on average every 10 shots. Sometimes 3-4 in a magazine of 10 though. Could I have done something wrong during the cleaning that caused this? Not enough lube? too much lube?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check and make sure the chamber is clean, especially the groove on the side. I had this problem and used some dental tools to really clean that area, but a small brass brush and some tool picks will work. Check the extractor too and make sure it is clean and works freely. Take a spent casing and and check that the extractor will hold it securely. I changed mine with a VQ one it the gun has works flawlessly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
1. Not cleaned thoroughly
2. Too much lube

10/22s need very little lube, you can run them practically dry. I would say most problems stem from overlubing and ammo.

Did you switch ammo? What kind of ammo are you using? Try a different kind of ammo.

Check your extractor and make sure it isn't damaged.

That is a LOT of stovepipes. My 10/22 was defective and it stovepiped less than that...

My replacement 10/22 ran 550 rounds of Remington Goldenbullet (a lot of people have problems with this ammo) with only one failure to feed. (ammo's fault) I didn't have a single stovepipe. I have yet to shoot it with any other ammo, so it could be my 10/22 likes this ammo. Needless to say though, a properly functioning 10/22 should have very few, if any jams if the weapon is clean.

I don't own a takedown, is there a way you could have reassembled it improperly? The regular 10/22 is pretty straight forward, I don't think you could put it together wrong...

If all else fails, you could send it back to Ruger or try an aftermarket extractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Not cleaned thoroughly
2. Too much lube

10/22s need very little lube, you can run them practically dry. I would say most problems stem from overlubing and ammo.

Did you switch ammo? What kind of ammo are you using? Try a different kind of ammo.

Check your extractor and make sure it isn't damaged.

That is a LOT of stovepipes. My 10/22 was defective and it stovepiped less than that...

My replacement 10/22 ran 550 rounds of Remington Goldenbullet (a lot of people have problems with this ammo) with only one failure to feed. (ammo's fault) I didn't have a single stovepipe. I have yet to shoot it with any other ammo, so it could be my 10/22 likes this ammo. Needless to say though, a properly functioning 10/22 should have very few, if any jams if the weapon is clean.

I don't own a takedown, is there a way you could have reassembled it improperly? The regular 10/22 is pretty straight forward, I don't think you could put it together wrong...

If all else fails, you could send it back to Ruger or try an aftermarket extractor.
I used half Winchester Super and Half Federal Bulk. I shot about 200 Winchester the first time around with no stovepipes. The recent time I shot I ended up getting a quite a few. Federal had a fail every other mag of 10 it seemed.

In regards to lube, I basically just wiped everything down with a rag slightly oiled with CLP. Any chance it was UNDER lubed?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would try some minimags and see how they feed. At least eliminate ammo.

I mean, you could probably add a little more lube than that, but that's how they clean it in Ruger's video.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as the lube, thats how I lube mine and they run fine.
I can't stress how important it is to get the bolt face clean, with a dental pick or alike, especially in the corners. But an extractor may be your problem, if its not, it will be eventually. They are $10-12. If you get one and lay them side by side you will see what we're talking about. Get an laser or EDM cut extractor they will improve reliability!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts