Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local club runs what they call a Sport 180 match that can be shot with a 22lr. The 10/22 is perfect for such a match.

It requires magazine changes per stage and being able to swap out a mag is where I am asking for help: Does anyone know of a magazine extension that can be added or modify an existing 10 round magazine? I'm in need of carrying the extra mag like a pistol mag on my belt for the quick change.

Also, I'm looking for pictures or ideas of how people that shoot these types of matches carry their spare mags?

Yes, I can use a 15 or 25 round mag - but the match is 10 rounds per magazine - so it may not be the best use of my resources (as in I don't have to ask SWMBO for more gun related cash).

Any ideas? Pictures or links are great!

·
Registered
464 Posts
How many continuous stages before you can reload mags? Can you drop the empty and come back for it before the next shooter? If nothing else an extended mag release might be useful along with carefully deburring all mags to make sure they will drop by gravity. Deburring stock and mag well might be time well spent too.

As far as storing mags I would think a belt with pouches to hold spares and a rigid leather pouch to hold empty ones.

The only other thing I would do is spend whatever time it takes to get a very good cheek weld that repeats every time. I ended up getting an adjustable one that is a nylon or some sort of fabric with places to put different thickness pads to get the height and offset perfect. It is held on the stock with a couple nylon straps and works well.

The last thing is get plenty of your favorite ammo. Mine likes CCI but while mini mags cycle well in my 10/22 they have an occasional flier and something not good for a competition. CCI does make some more standard load stuff that works very well.

Above all I would practice mag changes with someone timing 3 or 4 in a row to get an average and identify any problem mags. Start with one in and drop into pouch new one form belt charging handle and repeat to cycle through as many needed for each stage. It can be done with empty mags so quite safe at home. The time lost doing mag changes is lost forever and consider the practice changing them no different that race car teams practicing tire changes.

Hope these thoughts help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great ideas - I appreciate you sending them. I have already started practicing the mag changes. 1st stage is 20 rounds (1 mag change) in 30 seconds. Easy - I'm around 24-26 seconds in dry fire practice but I know from experience I'll be faster under the pressure of competition.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great ideas - I appreciate you sending them. I have already started practicing the mag changes. 1st stage is 20 rounds (1 mag change) in 30 seconds. Easy - I'm around 24-26 seconds in dry fire practice but I know from experience I'll be faster under the pressure of competition.
You should be able to cut that by 50 to 75% Just did mine 8 seconds. Spare mag in bulky coat pocket. One finger on release into hand drop the empty in same pocket as loaded one and in goes other mag the charging handle.26 seconds is a very log time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I shoot a matches that need i need to make mag changes, but we reload when needed. I use BX-25 carried in double stacked pistol mag holders. I also use a shotshell pouch http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-D...8288768&sr=8-2&keywords=shotgun+shell+pouches.

I have mag bumbers coming for 10 rounders https://www.tandemkross.com/Companion-Magazine-Bumper-for-Ruger-1022_p_27.html , they may work in the mag holders. The couplers may work fine, I have not used then

like ddahlgren, said work with it.

a tip on reloads. I shoot mostly CCI mini mag for matches. I load a Standard velocity round next to last in my mag. When I hear the difference in the rounds, I reload, not shooting the gun dry. That will save you alot of time. You can use a high velocity round like a stinger, if you gun will take them. Mine have match chambers and will not take them.

Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
MarkS: Thank you for your suggestions. I had seen the mag bumpers but didn't know how well they would work out. My mags drop clear pretty well but I tend to drive my mags home firmly (old habit from pistol competition).

I'm thinking I will have to go with the bx-25 mags since I already have double stacked mag holders on my belt. I hadn't thought of that option to be honest - good idea. I need 6 mags to get through the course of fire (60 round match) - so it might get a little hard to explain to SWMBO that I need 6 mags - actually probably only need to buy 3. Start the course of fire with a 10 rounder - drop it - then swap out to a bx-25.

I have a leather nail pouch on my pistol belt to hold empty mags. I shoot a lot of PPC and tactical pistol matches so I have 6 double-mag pouches on my belt then the nail pouch on my left hip where I drop empty mags and keep spare loose ammo.

I'm a 'round counter' and the rules say I have to run the mag empty before a reload - so your idea, though pretty good, won't for for this particular match.

Thanks for your suggestion and I'll see how that works when I run a practice match this weekend.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe Ruger makes a 15 round mag like the BX-25 but about half the length. I've seen them come with the 10/22 Charger pistols

1 - 10 of 10 Posts