Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed it up this year, Im having a baby soon so I sold off a lot of my firearms I used to squirrel hunt with and only have a 10-22 take down and a bushnell trs-25 to work with. Hopefully this combo will work in the thick woods were I hunt. Any one hunt small game with a red dot? Id like to have a nice built 10-22 for hunting but funds just are not there right now.

Any one have suggestions to make it a better hunting rifle? Ive only been out once since its been pouring rain but I enjoyed myself even though I only saw one squirrel and that sucker was running for the hills.

It feels weird in the woods since its black synthetic and stainless compared to my old wood and blued riffles but its better than nothing.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Let us know how that works. Often wondered how "repeatable" the accuracy is as you take it down then reassemble. Just curious did you go with the takedown for a reason, i.e. portability?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know how that works. Often wondered how "repeatable" the accuracy is as you take it down then reassemble. Just curious did you go with the takedown for a reason, i.e. portability?
I just liked it at the time. They have a standard wood 10-22 on sale for 200 otd for today only but I don't know if a standard one would be much better than the TD. So far the TD is accurate after disassembly.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
I just liked it at the time. They have a standard wood 10-22 on sale for 200 otd for today only but I don't know if a standard one would be much better than the TD. So far the TD is accurate after disassembly.
I can't blame you. I've done a fair amount of traveling and moving from state to state and across several countries in my career, and I just love guns that take down and stow in a small case like that. I've always lusted after Browning's take-down lever action rifles too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I can't blame you. I've done a fair amount of traveling and moving from state to state and across several countries in my career, and I just love guns that take down and stow in a small case like that. I've always lusted after Browning's take-down lever action rifles too.
Im leaning towards selling the TD for a basic model and modify it for my needs. The TD doesn't have too many aftermarket parts compared to the original.

Registered
I have a take-down, and an LVT. There is NO question which one I would rather hunt with. The TD weighs less than 5 lbs, and is more accurate than I am. The LVT, (and likely any 10/22 you build up), weighs over 8 lbs with a scope.The TD is VERY repeatable. I did a 100 round test,(10 rounds at a time), during which I broke down the rifle and reassembled it. There was no discernible change in the point of impact.

Unless you are shooting paper, I would recommend the TD for squirrel hunting.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a take-down, and an LVT. There is NO question which one I would rather hunt with. The TD weighs less than 5 lbs, and is more accurate than I am. The LVT, (and likely any 10/22 you build up), weighs over 8 lbs with a scope.The TD is VERY repeatable. I did a 100 round test,(10 rounds at a time), during which I broke down the rifle and reassembled it. There was no discernible change in the point of impact.

Unless you are shooting paper, I would recommend the TD for squirrel hunting.....
thanks for that input, I would probably try and do a light build but the takedown is what it will be for the season. Ive yet to bag one this year but when or If i do I will report back.

I know the squirrels could care less but I might cerakote it earth tones, I also wanted to scope it but like stated am stuck with the red dot which might not be that bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have a single cab tacoma so all the saved space helps, theres not a whole lot of room behind my seats for a rifle case. And I keep ammo and shooting crap in the bag and makes it convenient to grab the whole thing and go with out thinking twice if I'm missing something.

Registered
I have TD and found that I needed to choose carefully when looking for a scope if I wanted it to fit in the TD case mounted on the receiver. A short tactical style scope does work, but I suspect you'll do just as well with a red dot, and it will store easily in the pack. I've also had no identifiable change in point of impact due to the disassembly and reassembly processes. Enjoy your TD !

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Here it is. I must say its a small package and actually was able to charge through thick brush and not worry unlike when I had my wood stock scoped rifles. Only bad part is I have a stigmatism so my dot looks funny until I get my new glasses.

Attachments

Registered
Nice. I think that is a great set-up!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. I think that is a great set-up!
Out of curiosity how is that LVT? Saw one at my LGS today but they wanted 370 OTD it was beautiful and had a different stock on it. I believe it was a distributor exclusive and its been sitting there forever because when I asked to see it it had a thick layer of dust on it. It was heavy though, Not sure if the weight difference helps with accuracy. I did carry my TD for a few hours with no sling and had no issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
went out today even though its been raining. It let up for an hour and I saw one squirrel but couldn't get a shot since he disappeared on me( I have add and he ran behind the tree and I heard cutting behind me so I turned around and when I looked back he was gone lol). After hunting I Stopped by the LGS and found a bx trigger they had for cheap so I said why not and picked it up. They do have a nikon rimfire 3-9x40 but I doubt it will fit in the TD case. Also I don't want to buy a scope if the red dot will work, its hard to tell since I haven't seen many squirrels yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Went a different route for now. My vision is to bad for the red dot. Ended up building anothe 10-22 with a federeson bull barrel, hogue overmolded stock, Bx trigger, and Nikon prostaff rim fire 3-9x40. Had to sell a few things to fund it but managed to keep the red dot. I want to put it on a charger I hope to get some day. Here she is

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts