Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger 10-22 Takedown. Loving the gun but have a serious issue If I can explain it. If I hold the stock and the the forearm, I can rock / raise the barrel near an 1/8 of an inch. Needless to say this makes it very erratic to shoot. It is not rocking the rear stock and YES I have done the factory barrel installation with the adjustment knob. It does nothing to stop this rocking. Now, on the front of the receiver there is the adjustment knob and just below that is a block (ruger calls it a clamp) with 2 allen head bolts. Could that be an adjustment for slack in the barrel. Just wanted to ask before I start playing.
2nd and totally different, what would I look for that would keep the trigger from resetting after a shot and a new round being inserted into the chamber. I am saying everything appears good after a shot but I have to rack the slide to eject a good round to get the trigger to reset. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Those two bolts, if I am understanding exactly what you are talking about, need to be tight. This might cause both of your problems if they are loose. One other thing, are you shooting at least standard velocity ammo?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I have a Ruger 10-22 Takedown. Loving the gun but have a serious issue If I can explain it. If I hold the stock and the the forearm, I can rock / raise the barrel near an 1/8 of an inch. Needless to say this makes it very erratic to shoot. It is not rocking the rear stock and YES I have done the factory barrel installation with the adjustment knob. It does nothing to stop this rocking. Now, on the front of the receiver there is the adjustment knob and just below that is a block (ruger calls it a clamp) with 2 allen head bolts. Could that be an adjustment for slack in the barrel. Just wanted to ask before I start playing.
2nd and totally different, what would I look for that would keep the trigger from resetting after a shot and a new round being inserted into the chamber. I am saying everything appears good after a shot but I have to rack the slide to eject a good round to get the trigger to reset. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I'm doing this from memory while laying in a hospital bed, but I think those 2 bolts are what connect the receiver and chamber.

They should not be loose. They are not an adjustment. The only area you adjust there is the barrel adjustment for the TD.

I had those exact symptoms, minus any loose bolts and fixed it by re-performing the recommended barrel adjustment. And then I went 2 clicks more snug,

Hope this helps. The TD is a fun little rifle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm doing this from memory while laying in a hospital bed, but I think those 2 bolts are what connect the receiver and chamber.

They should not be loose. They are not an adjustment. The only area you adjust there is the barrel adjustment for the TD.

I had those exact symptoms, minus any loose bolts and fixed it by re-performing the recommended barrel adjustment. And then I went 2 clicks more snug,

Hope this helps. The TD is a fun little rifle.
I hope your hospital stay is not serious. What you said is the same thing that I was trying to say.
Let me add one other bit. As jlh820 said, he went two extra clicks. That's about how mine is set.
Install the barrel, run the adjustment nut out against the barrel until you can no longer tighten it by hand. Remove the barrel and run the adjustment out two more clicks then reinstall the barrel. It should be snug with some resistance but not so much that it takes much effort to lock the barrel in place.
If there is too much resistance locking the barrel in place, turn the adjustment back in one click.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is a knob u twist and your supose to ajust those just right look on youtube for input but ajust them just right so that the barrel and the reciever go together right but i dont have one so not 100% sure and the way everyone else is talking it could be those bolts to

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thanks to all that replied with helpful information. All of your adjustments and setting were tried to no avail. As a last resort I TOTALLY disassembled the receiver. At that point I could see the INSERT (section of receiver where barrel in inserted) moving / flexing. This is a press fit piece. It moving the slightest bit in the receiver lets the muzzle flex an ways 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I called Ruger and after many attempts got through. Once connected service was great. They sent me a UPS RMA shipping label and asked that I return it for service. They received it today in the service department. Here's hoping its fixed and returned to me quickly. All of you be safe and hold on to your GUNS!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts