Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10/22 target that they no longer make. When I first got it I upgraded the trigger with a new hammer, sear, shims and springs and that was it. It shot well, I could get sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards with most ammo. About the only stuff that didn't shoot was Remington and Winchester bulk. I purchased suppressor that I still don't have the stamp for (waiting since last February) and decided to swap the barrel out for one that has threads on the muzzle end. Kind of nuts to do that with a good shooter but the 10/22 barrel is easy to swap.

I purchased a Kidd 16.5 inch heavy barrel, plain blue with a threaded muzzle end. It installed easily after putting the receiver in the oven at 225F and putting anti seize on the barrel shank. While I had the gun apart I installed a Kidd rubber bolt buffer. When I went out last weekend I ran about 90 rounds through it and was not impressed. It didn't shoot so great and I had lots of jams. This weekend I pulled the rubber buffer and replaced it with the factory part. I had only one jam in 134 rounds with cheap ammo. I shot two half inch groups (5 shots) at 50 yards without much effort in windy conditions with one group putting 4 shots in one ragged hole with Aqulia super extra 40 grain CP solids. I am happy now, it should perform well with good ammo.

One other thing I found out is that the muzzle protector need to stay tight. The groups open up if it gets loose. I need to put a wave washer and tighten with vice grips.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don’t tighten with vice grips........

Hand tighten and check it every so often. I usually get something like a muzzle break of some sort to use as a thread protector when my Suppressor is not in use.

Same goes with the Suppressor , just hand tighten.

You will notice changes in group sizes with different length/weight muzzle devices. Some times for the better sometimes for the worse.

Ymmv

Sincerely
Nobody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts