Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly new to the 10-22 and first scope ( Nikon 4x ) I've installed. Dang thing won't tighten down on the Ruger provided base. I've got about 1/128" of forward/backward movement. I've put all of my 200 lbs into tightening down and no progress. Plate is tight. Suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
What brand of rings do you have? I use the Weaver brand rings on the two piece Weaver base, both available at Wally cheap, and no problems whatsoever. I don't like the Ruger base, seems to loosen up if you don't use Locktite. With the Weaver base, you probably won't need Locktite.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I'm with gerry in wondering what rings you're using. the cheap ones are that way for a reason and not consistently machined so that they can provide a proper fit and be properly secured.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Ruger scope base that comes with the rifle should be secured to the receiver in this manner.
Field strip the rifle
Remove the 4 base mount screws from the receiver
Degrease the 4 screws
Degrease the mount holes in the receiver
Apply blue loktite to the screws (just a dab will do)
Secure base to receiver to mfg torque specs (do not over tighten)
Wait until dry (overnight)
Mount scope and torque rings to mfg specs (after alinement)

Just wanted to throw that in. But you have already stated the base is secure.

Rings are your problem ... Do not waste your bucks on cheap ones.

I have the Nikon Prostaff scope with weaver type rings and factory base on my 1022 and have over 5000 rds with that setup without any problems. I need to check the mfg of the rings I bought, but they have not given me any issues.

Good luck and have fun with that new 1022.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The factory tip off rail is as worthless as anything I have ever seen come from a factory for anything...

Search results for: weaver rail 10/22

I have 4 sets of rings... Burris "Z"...steel...one piece body...expensive...very heavy...very tight and very strong...hate them...I mean really hate them...but they are very well made...

Burris 1 Signature Zee Weaver-Style Rings Matte Medium

One set of Leupold Rifleman Low...I can't believe how nice these rings are for less than $20...

Leupold 1 Detachable Rifleman Rings Weaver-Style Low Matte

One set of Weaver low...pita to install...once set up I really like them a lot...super low mounting...low profile clamps too...mount solid and the whole scope with rings comes on/off with a coin for screw driver in a few seconds...I might not have gotten them but caught them on sale for half price and very glad I did...they are worth the $25 if you are mounting a 28mm objective scope...with a TO-9 rail or a 33mm with a taller rail like the Weaver multi-slot...

Weaver 1 Top-Mount Rings Matte Low

One set of Weaver Quad lock mediums...much easier to set up than the other weaver rings...but with the same style attachment to base with makes them very, very nice to use...also low profile rings...only problem is the don't come in extra low...otherwise these would be my favorites so far...

Weaver 1 Quad-Lock 4X4 Rings Matte Medium

·
Registered
11 Posts
here's what I did to fix the same problem, I drilled and tapped the next screw size over in the receiver and mounted a 10/22 Leupold picatinny rail (with 2 cross slots) same hole pattern, and that completely solved my problem, can't remember the brand of rings except they have 4 screws each, it all looks good also

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hang on... Having never mounted a scope before, I must have slept thru Scope 101 class... I unscrewed it, took it out, looked at it, put it back on, tightened back down and viola , tight as a... a.... well, just tight! So, sorry for false alarm, but all is good in Ruger Land. However, a 4x power scope is just not "gett'n it" but fat chance of getting "Management" to authorize a new purchase..... So dealing with a 3 inch pattern, but if it's good for me, well, then, it's just dandy! However, will bring binocs next time to try to tune in that scope just a scotsch more....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts