Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought my first 10/22 a couple of weeks back. What really sold me on getting a .22 rifle is Ruger's Take Down version, which is the one I got. My first two trips to the range were outstanding. I'm going to enter the division 3 shooting contest for rimfire rifles and it allows scopes up to 5x, so I bought a scope and mounted it.

I took it to the range yesterday and zeroed the scope, again and again and again, ad nauseum. I ran through 100-200 rounds and gave up knowing that there must be something I was doing wrong. My shooting yesterday was dead on, but the shot placement was all over the place.

After I left the range yesterday, it was bugging as to what was going on. It was accurate when using the iron sights and a scope should only improve things, right?

I just found and fixed the problem. It's one of those real Duh! moments. When I first got the rifle, I read the manual and the insert for the TD model. I checked the tightness of the adjustment ring with the rifle assembled. Bad idea! The ring was kind of stuck since it was brand new in the fully loose position. The gap between the barrel and receiver was wobbling about a 1/16". :eek:

So, I dismounted the scope, adjusted the barrel correctly and I'm 100% sure I fixed the problem. I haven't shot it again yet, but I know that was the problem.

I'm posting this here in case any of you have a similar problem so you don't have to have your Duh! moment. :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Don't forget about adjusting the scopes parallax for the range you intend to shoot. This can really mess up your marksmanship.
Darrell

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear you solved the problem.
Thanks. Like I said, it was a real, Duh! moment. :eek: I can't believe I didn't notice it while shooting. I guess it's because it's a .22 and there's virtually no recoil. I'm not I'm not used to shooting anything smaller than a .380. ;)

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget about adjusting the scopes parallax for the range you intend to shoot. This can really mess up your marksmanship.
Darrell
The scope I bought for it doesn't have adjustable parallax, but it's made from the factory to be set at 50 yards, which is just what the contest is set at! :)

Thanks for the tip, though.

My only other scope has adjustable parallax, but it cost almost 10x as much! :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, I dismounted the scope, adjusted the barrel correctly and I'm 100% sure I fixed the problem. I haven't shot it again yet, but I know that was the problem.
One last thing, though you may already know about it.

The manual insert I got with the Takedown says after assembly to work the action 3-4 times to "properly seat the barrel assembly." Just pull it back and let it slingshot forward a few times.

I read the durned thing and then forgot about it. After re-reading I too had an "aha moment."

I never could figure out why the first couple of shots after reassembly were kind of "flyers." Not off the mark badly but still off the mark.

Then after 2-4 rds things would settle down and I'd be shooting one holers from 25yds.

Ruger tells you to do it for a reason. it works.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last thing, though you may already know about it.

The manual insert I got with the Takedown says after assembly to work the action 3-4 times to "properly seat the barrel assembly." Just pull it back and let it slingshot forward a few times.

I read the durned thing and then forgot about it. After re-reading I too had an "aha moment."

I never could figure out why the first couple of shots after reassembly were kind of "flyers." Not off the mark badly but still off the mark.

Then after 2-4 rds things would settle down and I'd be shooting one holers from 25yds.

Ruger tells you to do it for a reason. it works.
Yeah I read that part but thought it was only racking it once, which I've been doing. I'll work it a few more times in the future.

I agree, it is a very accurate rifle. I've only tried these two but the Remington Goldens seem to be more accurate than the CCI Mini Mags. I was talking to another 10/22 shooter in Cabela's and he thought the same thing.

Next time I take it out I'll be shooting the contest targets at 50 yards. It's going to be fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts