Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new( non-takedown version) Rugar 10/22 as a new project. Had the desire to snag one for a while. I've picked out a few after marked, custom stocks I'm interested in( all will accept aftermarket .920 barrels). I'm having a hard time finding a barrel, obviously the options are endless, but the options are overwhelming. Currently willing to put 1100.00 into the entire project. Looking at 200.00 for the rifle I just picked up, and around 200.00 for the stock. That leaves me 700.00 for a barrel, trigger tune, and possibly some other tuning( receiver etc).

Suggestions for a nice barrel? I'd like to reserve about 250.00 for some tuning jobs initially, so any barrel in the 450.00 range or less is great. Wants:

-Stainless
-Flutted( preferably straight flutes but I'd consider other styles like ,"I" Eric
-A barrel with good solid accuracy, looking for the best bang for the buck in this aspect

I will consider a blued barrel if the price savings increases quality of barrel for the money as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
A .920 stainless, fluted, threaded end barrel, from Kidd is around 250 bucks.

If you are building a custom 10/22.......the Kidd website should be your FIRST stop anyway. For $1100, you could have built a rifle from scratch with a Kidd receiver and not even needed the donor rifle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I'll check it out, my buddy is planning on picking one up too, I'll sell this one to him if that's truly the case. Suggestions if I build from scratch?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep....I agree with msp3903.........
Start with Tony [Kidd]....not sure you will need to go anywhere else.
It's the only place I would go if I had $1100 to build a 10/22
http://www.coolguyguns.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep....I agree with msp3903.........
Start with Tony [Kidd]....not sure you will need to go anywhere else.
It's the only place I would go if I had $1100 to build a 10/22
10/22® and Ruger® 10/22® aftermarket trigger, barrel and parts by KIDD Innovative Design
Looking now. Ok, burned my brain a few months ago rifling through the seemingly endless possibilities building my AR. If you had 1100 to spend on Kidds(cool guys guns) what would you get? Keep in mind my stock is going to cost about 225.00

Nice stuff on their site! Looking at the barreled receiver.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What use will it be for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoop, just found the barreled reciever with build options section. Wow. I can get out the door at about 800.00 here. Damn.

·
Registered
304 Posts
One of mine has the straight fluted SS bull barrel.
It has the Kidd barrel block......
When I shot comp I even bought a Kidd target supergrade.......
but it was 1500 bucks...... probably more now.

The best thing is......you can start with anything [or nothing].....
and shoot it some....add some more....shoot, add some more......
and that is what I suggest. It makes it much more fun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep, once you learn your way around all of Tony's website.......
you will be one happy camper !!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for the help. On my cellphone right now so the site is hard to navigate. I'll fire up the computer when I get home. My buddy is going to snag this 10/22 off me for what I paid @ 200.00, just texted him.

·
Registered
304 Posts
BEWARE....Brother !!!!!!!
Tony's is an addiction, and there is NO CURE !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BEWARE....Brother !!!!!!!
Tony's is an addiction, and there is NO CURE !
It's cool, I like to ,"Main Line" my hobbies, costs lots of money, but can't take it with me when I die. Now, just have to hide a new one from Das Furher( the wife). Lol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is where I am at so far:

-Kidd Barreled Receiver( Silver)
-Sportsman Mag Release
-20" Polished/Fluted Barrel
-Single Stage Trigger( Silver w/ Silver Blade) 1.5 OR 2.0lb
-Silver Scalloped Bolt
-Extra Support Tang
-SS Curve Charging Handle
-Boyds Blaster Ruger 10/22( Left Handed) in Forest Camo

Still up in the air about threading the barrel, who really needs a barrel comp on a .22, although I might do it in the event I change my mind. I might also change my mind on the trigger and go two stage......Thoughts?

·
Registered
184 Posts
OP, I'd suggest trying a two stage trigger before buying one. They're great, but you have to learn to use them. I had one on a target pistol; loved it. But, when In a hurry I'd forget and just keep pressing, which is not good for accuracy. The rest of your list sounds good to me. But, I'm not a camo fan, my Blaster (Lefty) is natural.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP, I'd suggest trying a two stage trigger before buying one. They're great, but you have to learn to use them. I had one on a target pistol; loved it. But, when In a hurry I'd forget and just keep pressing, which is not good for accuracy. The rest of your list sounds good to me. But, I'm not a camo fan, my Blaster (Lefty) is natural.
I'll try to find someone to let me try a two stage out. As for the camo, it's a stretch to call that stock,"camo." Also considering Sky and Jacaranda as well....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the Kidd 18" bead blasted bull barrel and had it threaded. I put on a Volquartsen muzzle break. Not that it really needed it, but I was going with a black and silver theme for the rifle. It has a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope on it also. I can't remember the name of the stock off the top of my head, but it's synthetic and free floated the barrel. Amazing barrel!! I couldn't be happier with it.

The target shows a 5 shot group at 50 yards using CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Why not just buy the barrel threaded from Kidd. It will come with a thread protector if you decided not to use a muzzle device. I have his 16" threaded fluted barrel on my build.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update, I ended up keeping the stock rifle and using Kidd upgrade kits, went with a KSA 20" fluted barrel. I couldn't be happier with the rifle, at 100 yards I get GREAT groups at the range. If a Kidd barrel is better I surely don't need one that accurate. I can get quarter sized groups with this setup.

Also my other new toy....

Thanks for all the help folks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts