Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking for a .22 rifle who's intended use will be for: training my wife and kids how to shoot; range shooting & and general plinking; and possibly some small game hunting.

I'm a Ruger fan and have obviously heard much about the 10/22. But I'm new to this forum and just recently have become more familiar with the RAR22. I've read and seen some videos about each gun.

I'm curious if anyone has owned both guns and I'd like to hear your opinion on which you feel would be better for the above situations. Obviously one is a semi-automatic and the other is bolt. But what do you like/dislike, etc. about them?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,038 Posts
macdaddy17, I've always found using a simple bolt action rifle is easier and safer for training new shooters ... plus an RAR-22 will likely be more accurate. These rifles come in "compact" or "standard" and they each have interchangeable stock inserts to adjust for a scope or different length of pull .... a great feature for wives and kids.

I don't own a RAR-22 but I do own several other bolt action 22s. I also own four 10/22s in different configurations. It's fun to burn up ammo no matter what gun you own .... with 10/22s at the top of "fun factor" list. Bolt actions are typically more accurate and are more conservative when it comes to ammo consumption. The good news is .... both guns are modestly priced so you can start with one then add the other if the family enjoys shooting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own both. Love them both. BUT like my kids, each one is different.

For the stated objective of training, I strongly prefer the bolt action rifle. Easier to make safe (remove the bolt), easy to determine when it's safe to fire (safety on top making it easier for the coach/mentor to see).

Both are lightweight and depending on the model of 10/22, stock length of pull is easily adjustable. This brings to my #1 reason for suggesting the RAR bolt action - the length of pull is easily and inexpensively modified from young / shorter person to full-grown adult size. You can do that while shooting in literally a few seconds when you change shooters. Just take out the bolt (to make rifle completely safe) and change the stock to adjust to the next shooter.

I'd suggest looking at the compact version especially if your children are young(er) as the balance of the shorter rifle would be important to me so the rifle doesn't feel awkward.

My reasons above are based on experience in teaching others (about 48 years of experience coaching and mentoring shooters).

I'm a competitive shooter and I teach/coach/mentor shooters of all ages and I always recommend the bolt gun as a beginner rifle. I'm sure there are others who will disagree with me, but I've got a warm feeling when working with a new/inexperienced shooter and the bolt to the rifle is in my back pocket while we work on position, sight picture, etc. No way anything is going bang with the bolt in my possession.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum KKern! Nice looking RAR!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts