Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Ruger designed the 10/22 back in the early 60's the 25-round magazines weren't popular so they went with a rotary 10-round design. If they would have known how popular the 25-rounders are now do you think they might have designed it differant?

The reason I ask is the design is perfect for the rotary magsazines but leave something less than desired for the single stack magazine. And then I think the magazine being flush with the bottom of the rifle is very desireable.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Bill Ruger-Super Genius.

Quite the visionary.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think they should try to use the girth of the mag well to their advantage. I am sure they could find a way to stagger the rounds like most semi auto pistol mags. You could at least double the capacity on a mag like the BX-25

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they should try to use the girth of the mag well to their advantage. I am sure they could find a way to stagger the rounds like most semi auto pistol mags. You could at least double the capacity on a mag like the BX-25
I wonder if they would have problems with a double stack? My guess it they would or they would have made a BX-50.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The 10-22 was designed around the rotary magazine because Bill Ruger liked the idea. He wasn't concerned about the now-popular "high-capacity craze" but rather a ten-shot arrangement that didn't protrude from the bottom of the stock like all the others of the time.

The problems experienced with most of the "hi-caps" are with the design/construction of the mags themselves. not with the rifle.

JMHO
:)

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been wondering myself if there is some reason why 22lr's cannot be double stacked.
I have some pistol mags that are double stacked. Except they are not true double stack. With the rim of the 22 ammo you can't make them a true double.

The 10-22 was designed around the rotary magazine because Bill Ruger liked the idea. He wasn't concerned about the now-popular "high-capacity craze" but rather a ten-shot arrangement that didn't protrude from the bottom of the stock like all the others of the time.

The problems experienced with most of the "hi-caps" are with the design/construction of the mags themselves. not with the rifle.

JMHO
Thats what I have found to be true also.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've been wondering myself if there is some reason why 22lr's cannot be double stacked.
Some aftermarket mag makers have double stacked them and some work and some don't. I believe it is a little harder because of the rim sticking out which is different than most modern pistol rounds. The reason I say that is because several aftermarket mags like that don't work well. However that being said I have a Ramline 30 rd double stack that is over 20 years old (plastic lips) and has never failed to work correctly. And it is shorter than the Ruger BX-25. Before you run out to find any, I didn't say they all work like that.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

JMHO
Plus one. The various references I've read state that Bill designed the magazine before the 10/22. It is the core of the design.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The old Ram-Line high capacity mags were double stack. I have some 30 rounders that are much shorter than the BX-25s. I have had very good luck with them. They feed just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts